1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer, Richmond VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MJHRVA, Oct 5, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

MJH, any chance you'll have some lower-level copy editor openings anytime soon?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

why not go for the big slot, wicked?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Question: This seems like yet another "copy editor"/designer job where the emphasis seems heavy on the design and light on the editing. Throughout these posts, I see references to designers leading shifts, choosing shifts, etc., and references to "other copy editors."

Any particular reason why? Does it really take hours and hours and hours to plan the design of the pages? If so, why? That would seem to be a bad use of time and priorities.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, if you design simple pages only once. But if you work someplace that reacts to news and rips up pages as the night goes on and has multiple editions, yes. Richmond is a good-looking paper. You can tell by looking at it that it isn't just thrown together.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Seems to me, though, that in that situation there wouldn't be a whole lot of time to plan a masterpiece.

Multiple editions, OK.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dye, it also says they have copy editors working side-by-side with designers every night.

7. neely8

neely8 New Member

i have already sent my resume in. I have a question though. I noticed in the ad you said that the ideal candidate would have at least three years of design experience at a daily paper. Is this set in stone? Or would you consider someone that has worked less than that? Just curious.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The interim sports editor is doing a great job. It doesn't appear the paper has skipped a beat.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Seems to me the ad said three years of experience as a designer/"copy editor," but these days that may be the same as three years as a designer.

10. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

We have designers who design and editors who edit. Some of them are the same, not on the same night. When you are down to design, you design. When you are down to edit, you edit. We also have some staffers who just edit. They do no design work. We don't shirk editing in favor of design.

Wicked - probably not. The people who left were designers so our next couple of hires will need those skills. Our group of people who just edit remains intact.

If the work is good, we would consider someone with less than three years.

11. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Thank you, VERY much.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I miss the three-year criteria, hence why I asked, MJ. And thanks for answering the queries.

Draft saved Draft deleted