1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor/designer, Norwich (Conn.) Bulletin

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Aug 23, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Time to eat some asshole? Sorry, the line never gets old.

From jjobs.com:
    Company: Norwich Bulletin
    Position:
    Sports Copy Editor/Designer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    September 27, 2007
    Job ID: 819532

Description:
    The Norwich Bulletin is seeking a copy editor who has a demonstrated ability to create dynamic pages that include entertaining, smart packaging and knockout headlines. We are a hotbed of sports, including UConn, the WNBA's Connecticut Sun, the Class AA Connecticut Defenders and more, and we are looking for the right person to take our pages to the next level. Some web duties are included. Send your cover letter, resume and work samples to jkonrad@norwichbulletin.com or mail them to Jim Konrad, Executive Editor, Norwich Bulletin, 66 Franklin St., Norwich, CT 06360. EOE, M/F

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Heard the place has turned around a little bit since Gatehouse moved in and sucked it away from Gannett. People there are fairly nice and friendly, from what I know of them.

But plenty of others have had raw dealings with the shop, so I'm not the best one to consult.

3. Trust me, nothing has changed since Gatehouse took over. It's the same circus, just with different clowns. Two words: Stay away.

4. The Combo Meal

The Combo Meal New Member

Any idea on the salary for this position? And does it involve any reporting at all, or just editing and layout duties? Why "stay away" Price?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Vets, help him out.

6. This place has a bad reputation of hiring the wrong people. A couple of examples. The reference by wicked in the original post had to do with the former sports editor at the Bulletin. A lot of people who worked with him before he went to the Bulletin didn't get along with him. And it just wasn't a couple of people.

And then he came to the Bulletin, it was more of the same. I even hear he was accused of sexual harassment on two occasions. And what does Gannett do? Push the accusations to the side and allow him to take a job in the midwest.

The current assistant sports editor was hired with no prior newspaper experience. He was a local radio personality who freelance for the Bulletin. From what I've heard, the guy has been nothing but a disaster.

Those are just a couple examples, but the Bulletin is kind of a black hole. Some people have escaped, while others take the bs and bend over at the waist and ask for more. I think the biggest thing there is the paper doesn't understand its place on the food chain. Instead of touting itself as a small daily that can send its reporters to bigger and better things, its offended when people leave. Sounds like a bizarre attitude to have.

Like I said, just because it says Gatehouse and not Gannett doesn't mean a thing. Same circus, different clowns.

7. The Combo Meal

The Combo Meal New Member

but what about the pay? Mid 30's - low 40's?

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

High 20s, that's just a hunch.

Better hope you win often at Mohegan if you wanna live decently in the area.

9. If you're just starting out, definitely high 20s, probably 29K. If you have experience, obviously more, but it won't get crazy.

10. I started off there at just under 30K and finished off in four years a little over 32K.

Draft saved Draft deleted