1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Colorado Springs Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Sep 30, 2008.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Change "copy editor" to "Broncos beat writer" or "Buffs beat" (heck, even "prep writer") and I'll send my resume forthwith.

Sigh, it's hard to match the good locations with the right jobs these days...

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Has Jim O'Connell been at the Gazette this whole time? Was he promoted to SE from within or was he an outside hire?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Promoted from within when Sell went to Philadelphia.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

Last I heard there was a Denver-based writer who did a variety of things, including travel, based on the season. Clearly, the Broncos are the main interest despite being 70 miles from the Springs.

5. The Gazette also travels with Air Force football and Colorado College hockey. The paper has taken a real hit the past year or so thanks to the clowns at Freedom who own the thing. With Sell gone, the section seems to have gone hyper-local with lots of prep coverage, too. Not saying that's a bad thing, especially in this day and age, but it's certainly a different philosophy in charge.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I don't know anything about the opening, but I encourage those interested to learn more about the Colorado Springs area to see if it would be a good fit.

The town has a heavy military presence because of the Air Force Academy and a heavy fundamentalist Christian presence (James Dobson's "Focus on the Family" is headquartered there).

This is not to say it's a bad place -- it's not. Beautiful country, good schools, lots of outdoors activities, reasonable distance to Denver and Boulder, and the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame. :) But the Springs can be intense if you don't identify with the military or conservative Christians, and especially if you're trying to date.

7. RonObvious

RonObvious New Member

Hi,

I’m going to assume that if you’re reading this post, you’re interested in staying in the journalism business. Given that, this job is worth going after. The caution flags for this job are the same as with any current paper: the biz is struggling, you won’t get rich, the paper is understaffed doing more with less, and the corporate bosses are morons constantly looking for ways to satisfy today's evolving marketplace. But the immediate bosses are good people, you’ll love talking sports with your co-workers, and you’ll have a pretty active role.

I worked at The Gazette for several years. Here’s my insight:

Pluses about Colorado Springs:
    The scenery never gets old.
    300-plus days of sunshine
    Relatively affordable (my one-BR cost $510/month).
    Hiking trails, bike trails galore.
    Plenty of getaway small towns, whether they’re next door (Manitou Springs) or more than an hour away (Salida, Buena Vista).
    All-day trips to Denver, Boulder and the mountains easily accessible.
    Clean.
    Growing.
    (If you’re Conservative) It’s very conservative.
    Not a five-star nightlife, but definitely enough places to go and hang out.
    (If you’re female) Dating should not be a problem.
    Good dog parks (especially near Cheyenne Mountain).

Minuses about Colorado Springs:
    (If you’re Liberal) It’s very conservative.
    Music scene is not really a music scene but a string of cover bands.
    Downtown bars get old awfully quick.
    (If you’re male) Dating is a problem. Then again, I’ve had dating problems everywhere, so maybe I’m just a freaking loser.

About Le Gazette:
    For this job in particular, you should be able to discuss anything, anytime with your immediate bosses. Nathan Van Dyne and Jim O’Connell are good eggs. They care about the product, which is more than I can say about the Orange County-based Corporate Hacks. If you want to be happy while at The Gazette, your time of happiness will be in inverse proportion of time spent wondering what the hell the Corporate hoo-hahs are thinking, if they are indeed thinking.

You would be joining a staff that is too small to accomplish what they want to accomplish. This is no different than anywhere. Still, that’s worth noting. I’m sure you saw the term “these flexible times” in the job description and can figure out what that means. There will definitely be some fun moments on deadline when multiple stories get filed in the final half-hour. But that’s part of the fun, right?

My understanding of the current setup: It’s not “hyperlocal,” but it is Hyperlocal’s cousin. I don’t mean that as an insult. Considering the small size of the staff, they have placed their priorities where they should. The Broncos are the only Denver team The Gazette travels with – this is the case because the Broncos are, in fact, the most popular team in the Springs. Not staffing them would make no sense. They travel with Colorado College hockey and Air Force football/hoops (at least they did last year; I can’t imagine this part of the budget being taken away). The Gazette sent a writer, columnist and a photog rapher (at least I hope they sent a photog) to the Olympics. They cover small colleges and preps.

Also, it’s worth noting that copy editors have an active role there and are not just “should-be-seen-and-not-heard.” Two copy editors hold a weekly Fantasy Football video snippet on the site. You will have a chance to opine on what should go on the front page. If you have an idea for an infobox, you can pitch it, look up the stuff and put it together.

In a nutshell:
    Good bosses.
    Good co-workers. Banter o’plenty.
    Active role.
    Great weather, top-notch scenery, a perfect destination if you’re an active person.
    Good place to raise a family. Okay place if you’re single (and much more promising if you’re not a hopeless loser like me).
    Generally speaking, an affordable cost of living.
    Pay as little attention as possible to the jokers in corporate (and yes, I know it’s hard).

I hope this helped update the situation and dispelled some myths.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Thanks for the update. sent my resume in. Had applied there a few years back when Sell was the SE. Even though I didn't get the job, he was courteous and had some nice things to say. So maybe this time is the charm.

Yeah, Colorado rocks. And I'm too old to date or get drafted into the military.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

"Despite being 70 miles from the Springs?" Seriously, it's not Orlando-Miami distance here ... we're talking right next door and it is the Broncos, even if they shit the bed tonight.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Shit the bed? They did more than that.

11. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Two Broncos, one cup. It was that bad.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Aw, heck, EVERY team has an off night during the course of a 16-game season. I still like them to win the division, baring major injury.

Draft saved Draft deleted