1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Colorado Springs Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Sep 30, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=981239

Still a good read. TONS of outdoors stuff. Gorgeous country. Don't know a lot internally, but I do about the area, so feel free to PM.

The Colorado Springs Gazette is looking for a copy editor to work nights in sports, with occasional possible help on the news desk in these flexible times. We need someone who can be quick with late-arriving copy and make us look good on deadline, and who can also help improve earlier copy and the overall sports report when there is a little more time. Posting to and updating our Web site is an important aspect of the job. Copy editors will be trained in basic design (we use DTI) for use as needed/wanted. We cover local sports heavily, such as the Air Force Academy, Colorado College, University of Colorado-Colorado Springs, Olympic Training Center, high schools and Broncos, and have a solid state and national report for our approximately 100,000-120,000 circulation daily at the foot of Pikes Peak, an hour south of Denver.

Please send a cover letter, resume and any clips by Oct. 15 to: Jim O'Connell, Sports Editor, The Gazette, 30 S. Prospect Street, Colorado Springs, Colo. 80903, or e-mail jim.oconnell@gazette.com. No phone calls please.

2. Sawker

Sawker New Member

I've got nothing bad to say about Jim O'Connell, The Gazette or Colorado Springs. I'd jump on this in a heartbeat if only they didn't already know me well enough to not make the mistake of hiring me.

3. Overrated

Overrated Guest

To whomever gets this gig:

Please check and double-check the facts when it comes to stories about deaf wrestlers winning gold medals.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Would you get behind the guy and yell "Boo!" to make sure he's deaf?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that... think anyone heard me?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Whatever happened to David Sell, former sports editor at the Gazette?

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

Sell is the special projects editor at the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Gazette is dealing with the same staff/space/budget issues as everyone, but its product, in print and online, is holding up fairly well.

8. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

do they still give a byline credit to the person who edits the story?

9. Spent a lot of time working with the Gazette when I was in the PR department with the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. I was impressed with their coverage of us ... better coverage than a lot of Minor League teams receive from the local newspaper!

10. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

I'll chip in with my $.02:

The Springs is a gorgeous area. The paper is solid. They cover a ton and have a ton of great writers/columnists.

Jim is a solid guy and there are a ton of sports to cover here.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I assume Sell is the one who built it back up?

12. dprince57

dprince57 Member

This is at least partially utter nonsense. The incredible staff you refer to was actually brought in or given their opportunity by said idiots, if you consider people who are now New York Times staffers (Branch, Zinser), at SI (Jenkins) and columnists elsewhere (DeCock). Some of those left when Sell got there. I have no clue if it was because of him or not.

As to the said idiots, I think some of them went on to bigger and better too.

As to the weird Dr. Seuss weirdness ... no argument there, but they must have been doing something right considering the alumni.

Draft saved Draft deleted