1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Copy editor, Army Times Publishing

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 10, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

From ACES 1326 ...

Copy editor -- with a personal life -- in D.C. area
    Posted by: "lindamonroe" lindamonroe@yahoo.com
    Date: Wed Mar 5, 2008 9:40 am ((PST))

Army Times Publishing Co., a Gannett company, will have an opening in late April-early May for a copy editor to help us edit and design four news weeklies -- Army Times, Air Force Times, Navy Times and Marine Corps Times -- and their Web sites. Everyone on this desk came from general-circulation daily newspapers, and most of us started without a particular knowledge of the military -- so at the outset, your knowledge of the military need be only that of a well-informed journalist. Unlike at most newspapers, our copy desk plays a significant role in our Web presentations -- so there's vast opportunity to exercise your devotion to the printed word, and acquire or maintain Web skills at the same time. For this opening, we are looking primarily for a copy editor -- dazzling design skills are not so important, although a knowledge of Quark is. The papers' total circulation is 250,000. We are based in Springfield, Va., just inside the beltway. Although we cover the military, we are independent from it. Our readers are mostly soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines. We serve them as a daily newspaper serves its community -- the readers come first -- but you can work here and still have a personal life. We do most of our work during the daytime, Monday through Friday -- and most of our employees normally have three-day weekends. The successful applicant will be a strong copy editor and headline writer with two or three years of experience in general-circulation daily newspapers; an efficient manager of time; and, most important, an intelligent, fun-loving person who works well on a team. Recent college grads with daily-newspaper internships also will be considered. We are an equal-opportunity employer.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn, forgot to add my reply. I must've been drunk yesterday. :)

The question is, is this a broadsheet or magazine? I remember Army Times being a magazine about 15 years ago.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

11.5" x 12.5", per the rate card.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Work smarter, not harder, soldier.

5. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: 0300. Infantry. Joker!
    Private Joker: Sir, yes, sir!
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: 4212. Basic Military Journalism. You gotta be shittin' me, Joker. You think you're Mickey Spillane? You think you're some kind of a fuckin' writer?
    Private Joker: Sir, I wrote for my high school newspaper, sir!
    Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Jesus H. Christ! You're not a writer. You're a killer!
    Private Joker: A killer, yes, sir!

Draft saved Draft deleted