1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

copy editing problem

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 10, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You learn how to report facts and quotes, but I actually meant to add that doing it that way was far from ideal.
    But if the choice is to have your boss on your ass every day from the mistakes stringers are making or doing it in such a way that the mistakes are eliminated and the boss leaves you alone. I think I'd know which way I'd go.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You get what you pay for. If your shop doesn't wanna pony up and pay stringers, tell the EIC that's what she's gonna get.

3. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Do the major fix, close it, open it again, and read it again. Guaranteed you'll find stuff you missed the first time around. Even if you're closing in on deadline, that will help.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Fix all the AP style stuff and leave the howlers.

That should leave her speechless.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Would it be worth drafting a handout to give to stringers, briefly going over expectations, common mistakes, and that sort of thing or would it just be one more thing to ignore?
    If anyone does that and has a copy, could you please send it to me in a PM?

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It would be worth it, and you should have done it already.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Anyone who's spent time as a copy editor knows that the mistakes you've caught do not make up for the mistakes you missed.

Hard, but true fact of the occupation.

It's like being an umpire. At your best, you aren't noticed ... because there's nothing wrong TO notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted