1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops: Man killed by urinating on downed wire after crash

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WolvEagle, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

Whoops - don't even remember posting that. Normally I'm quite charming. Got piss drunk last night though.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Just as long as you didn't piss on - or touch - a live wire!

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

My former shop had a story about the incident this week. Not sure if there was a full story or just what was online. All stories are together on one page, so the link is to the Web site front page:
    http://www.thevidette.com/

Elma man electrocuted
    MONTESANO — An Elma man was fatally electrocuted Friday evening, Feb. 26, after surviving a crash into a utility pole on Black Creek Road unscathed.

Roy Messenger, 50, of Elma was pronounced dead at the scene after paramedics unsuccessfully tried to revive him. Apparently, after losing control of the vehicle about four miles up the rural road and crashing into a power pole, he was able to call family members via cell phone to pick him up, Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office Chief Deputy Dave Pimentel said Tuesday.

An initial report in The Daily World that the man had been electrocuted while being extricated from the vehicle was incorrect, Fire District No. 2 deputy chief Larry Willis said.

Other media reports attributed Pimentel as saying Messenger was electrocuted while urinating onto a live power line.

That would have been impossible due to the location of the wire and doesn’t match the injuries, Pimentel and Willis said. Pimentel said he was misquoted.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ah, the old "I was misquoted" dodge.

5. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Well, it was a good story while it lasted ....

Also, the copy editor in me cringed when reading the lede. Fatally electrocuted is redundant.

Draft saved Draft deleted