1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops go after reporter cell records

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sconnie, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Did anyone else see this? A reporter in St. Paul tried to get some police files, got rebuffed, and got them anyway through another channel. The cops were pissed, and subpoened his cell records along with a county employee's cell records, with no judge approval.

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003684268

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Grand Jury subpoenas do not require a Judge's nor do they require a probable cause determination. A reporter may not be criminally liable for the receipt of some government documents or information, but the government or court employee maybe criminally responsible for providing them to unauthorized persons. Particularly seasled documents, such as search warrants, NCIC criminal record checks, sealed indictments, names of confidential sources and possible witnesses names and addresses who are under seal due to threats of witness intimidation.

The reporters' cell phone records are legitimate evidence in the prosecution of the court or government employee.

That said, this incident doesn't seem to be the type that necessitated the investigation.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This doesn't sound like a grand jury subpoena, though. They did identify it as an "administrative" subpoena, which from my understanding is far different from one issued by a grand jury.

4. i guess i'll just start using my phone at work to call my dope dealer instead.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

just make sure you write a personal check for your weed

Draft saved Draft deleted