1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops corner guy after chase, then proceed to beat the crap out of him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, May 11, 2016.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Not just any blogger, either. TurtleBoy Sports!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why cities don't establish a bonus pool for their police departments that gets distributed from whatever is left from an annual lawsuit fund. Figure cops might be less tolerant of the bad officers if their actions were taking money out of their pockets.

britwrit likes this.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Love how in his poll the only two choices are:

"Yes, criminals lives matter"

"No, he earned that ass whoopin like a mother fucker"

Is this what conservatives call logic?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Whatever charm there was in you spending all day on lunatic troll sites and shows then pretending to be outraged at what you find died long ago.

Stoney and MisterCreosote like this.
  7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Two state troopers (one from Mass., another from N.H.) have been suspended in the wake of this. With pay, natch.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I might be a little off the wall with what I am about to type, but the beat down doesn't bother me that much. I don't like it, but distant video doesn't tell a damn thing about what that driver did, what he said while being apprehended, if he said disrespectful things that further incited the situation, etc. I wish there were zero incidents like this. That said, I would hope people were more respectful of the police, treated them accordingly, and knew of the very real consequences of misbehavior. To the extent that incidents like this do occur, I would hope there would at least be SOME deterrent effect of not being on the receiving end of something like that.

Now, with all that said, there is another issue that I absolutely do NOT like that ties into all this: police lying on their reports and protecting each other. The blue shield standards are bullshit and perpetuate this stuff. Serpico situations are unfortunately very real, to this day. Somehow end that, and maybe the violence in the field would be greatly reduced too.

Anyway, back to the video: there are two or more sides to every story, but when you can't trust the police to tell the TRUTH in their reports... well... distrust, fear, disrespect and all kinds of other things, including escalation all the way up to cop killing, are the result.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What difference does it make what he said to them, or how "disrespectful" he was? Or even what he was being arrested for (which makes him accused of something, not found guilty of it until he has his chance to defend himself)? We don't live in a police state. You shouldn't WANT to live in a police state.

Yes, I get that they are people, and everyone likes being treated with respect. But if they can't deal with that aspect of their job, or the fact that they are not a welcome intrusion in most people's lives (guilty or innocent), they picked the wrong job. We should be vigilant about trying to make sure that kind of thug behavior never happens, because they are given a lot of authority to begin with. That authority needs to be curbed to make sure that they understand their role in the criminal justice system and that people have well-defined rights.

If they have probable cause to make an arrest, then they should do it. That simple. It's not their job to beat someone up AFTER the person has surrendered, or to dispense instant justice, or give beatdowns because they feel disrespected, etc. The reason they sometimes lie on police reports and then cover for each other, is because they know that when they violate someone's constitutional rights, it makes THEM culpable -- and criminal themselves.

Make the arrest. From there, we have a judicial system in which people who are accused have rights. If there is a good case to be made that the person violated the law -- and the police should be concentrated on helping put together that case, not on acting like thugs -- do it with a process. We don't know a bunch of knuckleheads given arbitrary authority trying to dispense justice on their own, given how they feel that day.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The deterrent is jail.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Know what this is a deterrent to? Surrendering.

They taught him a lesson. Next time keep running or fight. Give up peacefully and they'll beat the living shit out of you.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

A good number of people love authority. Vombatus would know all about those fetishes. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted