1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops corner guy after chase, then proceed to beat the crap out of him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, May 11, 2016.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Usually you have one guy on top of the guy to cuff him, maybe others kneeling on their legs and arms to keep them immobile. But punching and kicking is exactly the wrong thing to do since the guy could grab a leg or arm and it puts you off balance. But I guess since you have a bunch of people around you, proper tactics go out the window.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Probably not a popular opinion, but that's OK. My niece lives in the town where this fine gentleman, who had a warrant out for assault with a dangerous weapon, was apprehended, and it sure looks to be in a residential area. I can only think about if he, in some way shape or form, hurt my niece or others while flying up and down the streets. So if the local boys in blue take an extra few swipes at him, fine with me.

The problem here is, on most comment sections, the violator has now turned into a sympathetic figure. And that's just not right. Yes, the cops need to show restraint, but I'm also not about to flip out because some scumbag who contributes nothing to society caught a couple of blows to the head.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You know what would have prevented this? If he had not run away from the police.

BitterYoungMatador2 and Gator like this.
  4. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

What a chowdahhead

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's all well and good until it's you who's taking a couple of blows to the head after getting pulled over for speeding or some such minor infraction.

Our laws protect the rights of the guilty as well as the innocent. The more we let cops (or anyone else) violate the rights of the guilty, the more likely they are to violate the rights of the innocent.

I suppose the guy is lucky they didn't just shoot him.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If protecting the rights of the accused and/or guilty was an easy, instinctive response, we wouldn't have to write it into the law. It is entirely possible for mature people to want those rights upheld for the good of society, not because they're "sympathetic" to criminals.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To piggyback on your post (and my own), Gator, you absolutely should flip out that the cops violated this guy's civil rights, even if he is a criminal. The "what if my niece got hurt because of this guy, so the cops should have beaten him senseless after he surrendered" fantasy doesn't hold water in a just society.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

All this guy did was speed? No wonder people are outraged.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, I understand all that, but no, I'm not about to get worked up. I know I won't be taking a couple of blows, because I won't be leading the police on a hour-long chase through two states (minor infraction?!?!) Ultimately, though, will this guy, who put numerous lives at risk with his "minor infraction" really learn a lesson here? A few years of probation and a hefty fine. Oh yeah, he'll never do that again. That is why it doesn't really bother me. You can, and will, feel differently.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, nobody should give a damn whether you personally would get worked up or not.

11. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Exactly. Just one man's opinion.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And really, that's the important thing to take away from this -- police abuses are totally cool, because they could never happen to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted