1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops bust up cockfighting ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Louisiana, too. Up until a few years ago, cockfighting was legal there.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Roy Jones Jr. is quaking in his boots right about now.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've wanted to see one for years and finally found a contact who can take me. I hope to go this spring or summer.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In California, the cocks rise up and kill a man.

http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/115315954.html

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

A few years ago in the next county, there was a huge cockfighting raid. It was a huge federal investigation. These folks had a massive setup with a little stadium, betting windows ... the whole nine yards. It was a huge family affair with kids there and everything. As previously noted, it was just Saturday night, apparently. The feds seized hundreds of thousands in cash, the birds, drugs, you name it. A woman I worked with came in laughing, saying her young female cousin had been arrested in the raid. I asked if the girl was really involved in cockfighting. She said, "No. She was working the concession stand."

If you've ever been arrested while working the concession stand at an illegal cockfighting operation, you might be a redneck! (I do not know if they served chicken)

I have never been to, nor to I plan to ever attend, a cockfight. I'm about as far from PETA head as it comes, but forcing any animals to fight is about as disgusting as it comes and as far as I am concerned hopefully sends someone on the express ticket to the ninth level of hell*. What most people don't know is it's not as if there is a champion rooster defending his title week to week. The winner of the fight is usually so badly injured he is killed, too. What people bet on is blood lines and breeders.

*don't get me started on sons of bitches involved in dog fighting.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Unless the cocks are gay.

Draft saved Draft deleted