1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cops bust up cockfighting ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 10, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/09/justice/new-york-cockfighting-bust/?hpt=hp_t2

They found 3,000 birds. For matches, they inject them with PEDs. ... charge admission, sell alcohol. ... people bet.

I get the fun of drinking and betting on things, but I will never understand how there are enough people who are OK with that kind of cruelty, and create an underground culture around it. It sickens me.

I also wonder how many underground things like cockfighting rings are around me that I have no clue about.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That is a painfully bad lede.

You live in New York. Outside of Vegas, you live in the mecca of weird and crazy. The older I get, the more I realize I should never be shocked.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Seriously. Everyone involved in that one should be fucking fired on the spot.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The sad thing is, this bust did not save or "rescue" 3,000 birds.

All are likely to be euthanized, because they cannot coexist with other chickens. There will be no adopting them out or placing them in garden-variety barnyards or on regular farms.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's a bad lede, but did law enforcement give that the name of the operation? If they did, then there needs to be some sort of explanation. If it's just the writer trying to be cute, then yeah, fire them.

6. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In Oklahoma, they call this "Saturday night."

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Apparently, it was the name of the operation:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/operation-angry-birds-busts-new-york-cockfighting-ring-prosecutor-says-n26071

Still, this lede is a good example of what someone who is not a hack would write (the "savage" editorializing aside):

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I went to a cockfighting pit nearly 20 years ago for a story. It was wild. Guys were betting $5,000 per match. You'd see a well-dressed guy haggling over a bet with a guy in ripped overalls. And beer was free with your $50 admission.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

A few years ago, my wife and I were asked to take care of her uncle's chickens while he was gone for a week. He had more than a hundred chickens, mainly Rhode Island Reds and Longhorns, separated into pens. While we were moving from one pen to another, a rooster ran from one pen into another and attacked another rooster. The smaller rooster died before we could get them apart.

Many mature roosters will fight each other, naturally.

The supply of mature roosters far outweighs the demand just about everywhere. Thousands of day-old male chicks are destroyed by egg producers because they are of no use.

And most meat chickens are slaughtered before they are 14 weeks old, so roosters going at each other isn't much of a problem on those farms.

I know folks who raise chickens who keep them almost as pets and love them for more than eating, but the life of most chickens is pretty miserable.

I think that it's wrong and cruel to intentionally let and encourage roosters to fight. It's worse to make money off of it.

But my attitude toward chickens in general is pretty inconsistent. I eat them at least weekly. And, now that my wife's uncle is gone, we don't have an inexpensive source of fairly humane-raised chicken. So, I usually buy conventional chicken and don't think much about how it got there.

Perhaps because I've been around a few chickens and not really bonded with any I'll still cook them up. I know a few folks who won't.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I was once hosting a radio show in the South and made the oft-handed opine cockfighting was cruel.

The phones lit up and I was roasted by callers, in an on-air sense, for an hour.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Needs a lawyer:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted