1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coping with a parent that's "fading"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Sep 18, 2018.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

If he can't make the drive to you, well, you make the drive to see him.

Spend time with him/them, because once they're gone, they're gone, and you can never do it again.

Whoever said growing old is not for sissies had it right.

My dad always said that whoever called that time the golden years must have been 30 years old. And now, my mom says the same thing all the time.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I lost my dad a little over a year ago. He was diagnosed with lymphoma in May 2018 and died in late September. I was taking a very linear approach to his illness: he was scheduled to have six months of chemo, so he would just do that and then we'd see what would happen, right? I never really let my mind get to thinking about life without him. Well, things didn't play out as planned. He died with Mom by his side in the hospital.

I'm eternally grateful that I drove 12 hours to visit last year over Labor Day weekend, I think all the time about how he hugged me twice in the driveway on the Monday morning that I left, as if somehow he knew. He was actually doing well with the chemo then, but three weeks later he was gone.

So I don't have any great advice about coping with a fading parent, but I'll second other posters -- make the time, spend the time.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Playthrough, if there is any great advice out there, it's "Be there."

There were some tough times. Some of them really ugly. But be there.

playthrough likes this.
  4. NOT THAT JD

NOT THAT JD New Member

My mom died in 2013 and took Aricept. It makes matters worse. Here's a review of it, too. Aricept Drug and Medication User Reviews on RxList

y 92 year old Mother is in a nursing home, one of her health issues is dementia which is slowly getting worse. The doctor prescribed 10 mg.Aricept. Mom had been on the drug for a week and each day I saw her I could see the changes taking place. She was more confused than ever before, forgetting her everyday routine, wanting to go to bed 3 pm in the afternoon, weak the list goes on. This was a frightening experience to see what aricept was doing to her. I immediately had her taken off aricept. Now I am waiting till it gets out of her system. The side effects of this drug were worse that the condition she is being treated for.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'll interject a little humor here because it seems like it could be beneficial, and this is the appropriate place, I think:

I was out yesterday and came across a good deal on one of those little pull-to-open LED lanterns that show up on TV all the time now. I decided to buy it because I've been looking at them. I got home and tried it out. It works pretty well.

I walked next door to my folks' to show my dad. He's 79. I pulled it open/on and said, "check this out." Before I knew what happened, he had it and was saying, "Thanks. I've been wanting one of these. I've seen them on TV. Thanks. That's alright. I can use that. (showing it to the dog) Look what Driftwood brought us. Thank you. Thank you."

Of course in my mind, I'm thinking, "What the heck? I didn't bring it to you. I was just showing you my lantern." I played the good son and said, "Yeah, I figured you'd like to have one of these." It was about all I could do to keep my composure both in terms of eye roll/head shake to uncontrollable laughter. I called my mom today and said, "You do realize he stole my freakin lantern." She broke out laughing.

In the end, the story/hilarity value of the whole event far exceeds the $7 I paid for it. I just have to go buy another one for myself, I guess.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I walked four miles (well, 3.79) with my son and granddaughter today before work. When the day comes that I can't do that anymore, we're both going to be pretty upset.

I so hope when I do go it is quick. My dad went real quick. My mom struggled for a while and it was so hard. The pain of death is hard enough, I don't want my kids to deal with an extended struggle beforehand.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

My Mom died earlier this year after 10 years of COPD (brought on by 50+ years of smoking). Seeing her fade was far more difficult than seeing her die, which was almost a relief -- I know it was a relief for her. I miss her, but what I really miss is the version that ceased to be sometime around 2005. So I'll take it a step further: Enjoy them before they fade. I didn't do that with my Mom, but am definitely doing so with my Dad, who is still an active 81-year-old. We talk more than ever and I've learned more the last six months than I had in decades prior.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Take pictures. Especially if your whole family is still alive and available for family photos, be sure to take current ones, for posterity's sake, while you still have the chance.

This is not always easy. If you've got family members spread around other states, or siblings/parents who don't get along or don't keep in touch, etc., it is, oftentimes, really hard to get the entire family together at all. And then to try to plan/execute a photo session at that time, too? It's easier said than done, particularly with large families, even if someone actually thinks of it.

But try to do it, perhaps actually having a professional portrait done at a Picture People place, or a studio, even, because once someone in the family passes away, there's no getting around the fact that the "family picture" is forever changed.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Years ago, Kodak had a great ad with the tagline "when was the last time you took a picture of your Dad?" I think about that from time to time.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm just seeing this. It's really cool.

My grandmother (mom's mom) was not a very demonstrative woman. She lived a pretty tough life -- immigrated to the U.S. by herself in her early teens (she may have been only 13 and lied about her age), never saw her family in Europe again, lost her husband when my mom was 7, and raised 2 kids alone working in sweat shops to put food on the table. She saw both of her kids die before she did. She was the kind of woman who lived without a checking account, for example, well after they became the norm. If she had an electric bill due, she'd walk the cash over to the electric company.

She had a tough personality. But when I was very young, she spent a lot of time with me, and her way of showing love was to put me into a carriage and walk for miles. I still have memories of little moments with her from when I was 3, 4, 5 years old. I hope your granddaughter thinks back with the same kind of appreciation for those moments when she gets to my age.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Folks everyone is old enough here to understand; IMHO, not cryptically but live ever day knowing this is hanging out there, I don’t think of what one extra day is going to be with my mom and dad, but I try to live every day knowing it’s out there, I don’t sweat what today means but what I’ve done in the long run

Draft saved Draft deleted