1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coping/Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steve Hackett, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Steve Hackett

Steve Hackett Member

Wife and I are separating...loooong story, but it's the usual 50/50 split as far as who's responsible. Three kids (2 step: 18,12 and my baby - 9). 18 year old is a hellion (female) who thinks and acts like she's all that and the world owes her. The boys are a joy (and a handful). Need sage advice on how to deal with anger/resentment: she went away for an August weekend of ball - met a "player" (her words) and hooked up...which she denies....he was in town (he's from CA) two weeks ago and my 'snooping' has uncovered her picking him up at the airport, spending the night with him, now she's planning a trip down south in January....my issue is she's putting 5 people's lives in chaos for a selfish fling...we certainly (and I'm certainly part of the problem) had issues previously...but there is 'no chance' for counselling (her words)...first thing my lawyer said was "read Passages/Gail Sheehy"...I want/need to what's best for my boys, but her arrogance and "screw you, I'll do what I want" attitude certainly tests my maturity and control....

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Steve -
    First off, my condolences on this happening. It is a really crappy thing and divorce is awful no matter how much you dislike the other person.

My divorce didn't involve children, so I don't know how much advice I can offer other than what I have witnessed other divorcees do: make sure and do everything you can for the kids. Put them first because they probably won't get a lot of time with you anyway, so you should bend over backward during the time you do get to share with them.

Here is a thread I started when I was going through my divorce and there was a lot of really good advice on there.

Anyway, if you ever need someone to listen feel free to send a PM.

Angola!

Edit: Guess I should remember to link the thread:
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42070/

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wish you the best, Steve. Hope everything works out, to the extent that it can.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Damn, Steve, I feel for you. I really do.

I'm looking at a split myself. Have a 16-year-old daughter who fights with her mother like sisters, and a 10-year-old boy with mild autism who I adore and vice-versa. I'm looking at leaving town, probably at least a few hours away.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good luck Handsome. Is there no chance you can stay in town or do you not want to stay in town?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Steve, don't forget to be there for the boys. Don't let whatever your daughter (tries to) put(s) you through overrule that.

If only prescribing playing "Spectral Mornings" could cure all ...

Seriously, we're there for you if you need an ear ...

Signed,
    A fellow Genesis fanatic

Draft saved Draft deleted