1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop to skateboarder: Don't call me dude.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 15, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, it was HIS fault we broke up, not mine. :)

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Geez, the cop made a not-so-veiled death threat against the kid. No excuse for that. The cop needs to be fired and the kid's parents ought to sue the Baltimore P.D. from here to Tuesday.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The cop is a complete douche and deserves to be punished but why does everything have to end up with someone being sued.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That area in Baltimore (the Inner Harbor) is a real nice place. If you're ever in that town, go to a nice restaurant around there and get the crab cakes.

Just leave your skateboard at home or you might get killed.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Everything doesn't. Cop making death threats to a 14-year-old might be worthy of it though.

6. I read some of the comments on the Baltimore Sun site predicting that the officer would be fired. I got a good laugh out of that. They have no idea how a large municipal police department works.

He will get a nice paid vacation for a few weeks while it's "investigated" (a joke in itself), then he'll be ordered to serve a half-day suspension without pay or something. The union will fight that penalty tooth and nail. It will tied up in arbitration for 18 months. Maybe they'll compromise by making him watch a 30-minute video on anger management.

Police are absolutely untouchable. Rivieri knows that. I guarantee you, he's not worried. He's laughing about this with his fellow cops right now.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So nobody's going to defend this officer and say that maybe it was the only way for the kid to learn some manners and to respect authority figures?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You meant to use the blue font, right?

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Perhaps. Come to think of it, when Hondo says the cop should be fired, you know the guy was out of line.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My favourite lines:

"I am not 'man'.

I am not 'dude'.

I am Officer Rivieri".

Poetry.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They don't make me nervous, unless they're shooting past people at 25 miles per hour on their skateboards, sending old ladies sprawling. I'm not thrilled with cyclists of that stripe, but that's not what we're talking about. No, skateboarding is not a crime. Using your skateboard to terrorize people is.

12. Dude! Since when is being called "Dude" akin to being called a dickhead or a loser?

Reminds me of the "BASEketball" flick: "Dude! Dude. Duuude! Dude? Dude."

Draft saved Draft deleted