1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop to skateboarder: Don't call me dude.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

I'd hate to see how Rivieri responds to a suicide call.
    If the suicidal person thanks him for intervening by saying, "Thanks DUDE," does the hothead push him off the ledge?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, at least the cop wasn't called "Bro."

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I honestly do not see why skateboarding is such a big deal. What harm is being done? Are they screwing up the sidewalk?

IMHO, most skateboarders are the kids who used to wear the Ronnie James Dio shirts back in the 1980s. Burnouts for a new generation.

I know there are many very good kids who skateboard. I knew my wife and I moved to right neighborhood during a walk where we came across polite skateboarders.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The kids should have said that at least they didn't disrespect the little ice cream wagon he was driving.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'll tell you what's wrong with it: to my experience, kids on skateboards pretty much go hell-bent with no regard for pedestrians and cars. And they always seem to want to skateboard where it's not allowed. In my town, there are 2-3 skate parks and miles and miles of sidewalks in residential areas. There are no lack of places to skateboard. But the little brats want to go to bandshells, steps and railings to public buildings such as libraries and schools, mall parking lots, etc. No, they're not damaging the sidewalk, but they're sending pedestrians scattering in places where they have no business with their boards, despite the fact there are plenty of places to go safe for them and safe for everyone else. Must be some kind of outlaw mentality they have.

The cop was over the line. No question. He should be fired. But I know that area of the Baltimore Inner Harbor, and skateboarding is not allowed for obvious reasons -- there are numerous tourists and residents who would like a nice, peaceful walk to various attractions without getting run over by the punks.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Maybe the cop was once a member of Scatterbrain:

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is there anybody in the world--other than middle-aged, bitter white males--who Hondo likes?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

hondo likes authority figures.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I wonder why he didn't defend the cop.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I was joking. I agree with what he posted about skateboarders.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I didn't think Hondo was fond of you. ;D

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We have a school around the corner from our place with stairs, railings, skateboarder's heaven.
    Big deal.

Skateboarders are no more obnoxious--less, in my opinion, than for example, cyclists of all ages who ride on the sidewalk, go the wrong way on one way streets, don't stop for traffic lights or stop signs.

On the list of things that annoy me, skateboarders are pretty close to the bottom.

Teenaged males hanging around in groups makes some people nervous.

Draft saved Draft deleted