1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop tazes [great] grandmother, 72

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Jun 10, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

From what the Hell is wrong with cops file...
    The video is something else. That cop needs to get his ass beat

http://blogs.suntimes.com/shinyobjects/2009/06/tased_and_confused_speeding_texas_granny_subdued_by_taser_shot.html

Local news coverage

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That cop doesn't appear in the video to be very smart or savvy. He should have let the woman get back in the car and taken her keys.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Put your hands behind your back or you will be tazed again!"

Is this cop out of his mind? He yells this why the woman is crying in pain. And, even though there's nothing in the video that says anything, maybe the woman was physically incapable of putting her hands behind her back?

At best, the cop should be sitting behind a desk for a long time. At worst, he should end up on the employment line.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I saw the video. As unpleasant as it was to watch - the lady was pretty combative. And when you have traffic cruising by at 45 mph without a lot of room it's important that the officer is able to control the space. Telling the guy to take her to jail? Daring the guy to tase her? I thought the officer seemed to do a decent job of maintaining control of the situation.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The cop really didn't seem to look like he knew what he was doing. I was like he had to think about what to do next like someone remembering a script.

I don't know why the woman was out of the car. If the cop is that protective of her personal space he should never have let her out of the car.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

He also could have very easily slapped the cuffs on her. No need to use a taser.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Don't exactly agree with this. He could have handled that A TON better, as Ace pointed out. But as you point out, she was pulled over for speeding, and if she stays in the car and doesn't argue and follows his instructions, she doesn't put herself in a situation where a fucknut cop can overreact. All she had to do was sign the ticket saying she would show up in court, and it sounds like she would have been on her way. He could have handled it without tazing a 72-year-old woman who was no threat, but I don't think she should become some cause celebre. Just stay in the car, say "yes sir," sign the ticket and if you have an issue with the stop take it up with the judge.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Like Matt Lauer this a.m., I err in favor of the cop in this one. Sorry, old grandma or no, she was being unnecessarily beligerent and he was trying to keep her (and him) out of the traffic. If she follows simple instructions, it doesn't come to this.
    The boss cop said they quoted had a good point - age doesn't give you an excuse to be beligerent.
    "You going to taser a 72-year-old?"
    Not if you shut the hell up and do as instructed.

Ragu, me, most any of us - we'd of been tased without question and no fuss would have been made. She can't act the way she did just because she's a 72-year-old great granny.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

saw some local coverage of this where granny is very talkative to the camera and calling the cop a liar but when the dashboard camera video is released, granny wouldn't even answer the front door. count me in with those who side with the cop on this one.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The granny wasn't the threat - a person not following directions from an officer with traffic streaming by was the threat.
    If I was going to criticize the officer for one thing it was pulling her over at that spot and not waiting for the next cross street.

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Don't taze me, sonny.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the taser supposed to be the last thing (other than the firearm) that a cop uses? So why doesn't he take her by the arm pull her around and put her in cuffs? He's more than strong and big enough to do it. She had no weapon.

I'm not saying she's without fault. But there's no way in hell she deserved to be tasered.

Draft saved Draft deleted