1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop slips, sues family of brain-damaged boy who nearly drowned

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Oct 10, 2007.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's just a lame move; suing the guardians of the victim. Thankfully, there are legitimate lawsuits to be litigated. (whew!)

On the merits, I find it hard to believe that a jury would find that it would be "unreasonable/negligent" to have water around after pulling a drowning 1 yr old out of a pool and then trying to revive him/her.

Otherwise it would be "...um let's take a moment to stop the CPR on our dying grandkid while we wipe up the wet spots to prevent an emergency worker from slipping and falling." I'd love to give that opening statement. "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, we are here because...."

2. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

You know, if the cop really wanted to make a serious splash out of this, she'd also sue the 1-year-old for actually falling into the pool. Maybe if Officer Fakehooker plays her cards right, she'll own that infant's breathing tube. [/sarcasm]

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Congratulations, you are the first person to say that ever.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What is a sentence I thought I'd never read on SportsJournalists.com, Alex?

5. ARD

ARD Member

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Eichhorn's attorney, David Heil, sent a fax to Local 6 News that stated Eichhorn said it was in the best interest of herself and her family, friends and the Casselberry Police Department to dismiss the lawsuit.

And let's not say anything about the family of the child.
    That lawyer deserves every vicious phone call he gets.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That cop is nothing but a cold-hearted bitch. And the lawyer will get what's coming to him.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Funny that the attorney was nowhere near as flippant today as he had been in yesterday's papers.

Public outrage has a funny way of making money-grubbing ba$tard$ such as Heil STFU.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- A police sergeant on Thursday dropped her lawsuit against a family that was filed after she slipped and fell at their home during a 911 call, and she was placed on leave by the Casselberry Police Department.

Brutal lead. But then again, it is a TV site...

10. Faithless

Faithless Member

I agree.

Two years ago, my son was involved in an auto accident with an S10 pickup owned by the local PepsiCola distributor. My son and the driver of the truck both were seriously injured. My son has no recollection of the after accident, but witnesses traveling behind both vehicles said my son caused the accident by swerving into the other lane - apparently falling asleep at the wheel after staying up the night before. The Pepsi driver's left leg and hip were broken and eventually had to go through extensive rehab.

A year and three months following the accident, we were hit with a lawsuit by the Pepsi driver. Our insurance carrier at the time (it dropped us a few months after the accident) was also sued.

The insurance company, based in Columbus, Ohio, retained an attorney in our city to represent it in this suit. This attorney went beyond the call of duty to keep our family informed of what was happening.

We later found out all the Pepsi guy was seeking was the $50,000 our insurance company should have paid out not long after the accident. Instead, the insurance company - being an ass about the whole thing - stonewalled the guy. It forced the Pepsi guy to file suit to get things moving. The guy did receive Workman Comp plus compensation from Pepsi (in the six-figure range) when it was determined he couldn't return to work. The attorneys involved in the case (two for him, one for us & the company) were very professional in how they negotiated the settlement; the Pepsi guy's attorneys weren't guys who sued just to make themselves look good in the headlines or in their ads.

The suit was settled out of court and we signed off on the paperwork in January of this year. The Pepsi guy got his $50,000, but a third of that had to go to his attorneys. I wish the insurer had done the right thing so the Pepsi guy would have it all. It was noted in the settlement that he or anyone else (especially Pepsi) could not come back in the future and file another suit against us. I don't hold any ill will against the Pepsi guy. He had to do what was necessary to claim the money due him by our now-ex insurer. He could have sued us for a whole lot more and probably won.

It's a gut-wrenching feeling to be hit with a lawsuit and then tell your teenage son, who also was trying to overcome his own injuries from the accident, not to let it get him down. I didn't blame him or get on his case like my wife did. I told him we were going to be strong and get through this as a family.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but in your case the driver had reason to sue.

In the cop case, she had no legitimate reason and just came off looking like a heartless bitch.

However, she should not have been placed on leave just for filing a lawsuit -- ill-advised as it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted