1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop kills dog

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jul 2, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We are all dog lovers. If you don't like dogs then something is wrong with you.

My black lab mix (maybe w some pit in her) is the sweetest dog ever. She's never even raised a lip in snarl.

For my money the consistently meanest breed ive encountered is Jack Russell Terrier.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh good. More idiotic blanket statements. And I say that as someone who has no problem at all with dogs.

But yeah, there's no reason for anyone ever anywhere not to like dogs.

3. You mean the owner who put the dog in the car as the cops were approaching? The same guy who was compliant when the cops got to him? He had turned his back to them and placed his hands behind his back.

Sorry this is on the cops ... This is really on the cops if the guy wasn't charged with anything. Were the cops were being dicks and slapped the cuffs on this guy because he was mouthing off or blasting loud music?
    You have cops out in force - with automatic weapons - and this is a guy the net?
    I was stunned by the cop who shot the dog - watching the video he came out of nowhere. He totally overreacted. No doubt.
    I say this as someone who covers law enforcement and is very pro-cop, pro-law and anti-Rottweiller/Pit Bull.
    The smart play would have been allow the guy to corral his dog and put it back in the car and roll the windows up a little farther.
    Shooting it was not a proper response. Period.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's still on the owner. He was careless and stupid.

5. How was he careless and stupid?
    He took steps to secure the dog and was compliant with officers.

6. Riptide

1. He apparently didn't have his rottweiler trained in voice commands.
    2. He left the vehicle window open too wide, so the dog wasn't really secured.
    3. He provoked a situation, in the middle of a SWAT operation, that quickly spun out of control for him.

He was careless and stupid, the cops reacted aggressively, and the dog, the innocent victim in all of this, paid the price. If you wanna protest against the police, I suggest you don't do it in the middle of a SWAT operation. That's about as zero-tolerance a situation as you might find anywhere.

I'm on the dog's side, if I had to choose. But his owner fucked up.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What would the average person on the street had done?

Back up, or run, or throw something at the dog, or give the owner a chance to control his dog.

Because shooting the dog wouldn't have been an option. Shooting dogs (thankfully) isn't an option for almost everyone . . . except police officers.

The officer just pressed the Easy button. And a gun too fucking often is the Easy button.

8. Riptide

But it was a tense SWAT situation.
    Any perceived threat gets taken down.

Not saying that's right. But surely the dog owner knew better.
    I'll bet he regrets his actions today. Because he got his dog killed.

A pet is like a child. In that situation, safeguard your child and back away.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, there's an issue with the overreliance on SWAT units and the militarization of the police in general. But that's probably a different thread.

10. Riptide

Yeah. They're gung-ho and ready to go.
    I wouldn't get anywhere near a mob like that.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Watch the video again. That guy is intentionally trying to draw attention from the police. His movements, the way he is filming in an exaggerated manner, all of it. He wanted them to see him, and he got it, all of it. Notice how the people filming the man filming weren't being harassed or fucked with. He wanted them to see him, and they did.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yeah, watch the video again. It's not like those two cops are on the front line. In the first two minutes, they're just puttering around, probably talking about their weekend plans. The guy was videoing from a sizable distance, about 15 feet from the guy videoing him. Again, he should have been arrested. He was compliant. Cops overreacted.

Draft saved Draft deleted