1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop kills dog

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Yes, actually. The dog wouldn't be dead. Look, I'm not going to change your mind. And you won't change mine. But can we at least agree that the situation could have, in many ways, been handled better. On all accounts, the guy, the cops, etc. It was a situation that escalated far too quickly, and could easily have been prevented, either by the guy (who I've admitted was a douche) walking away or the cops showing more restraint with their weapons.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I'm sorry.

The dog wouldn't be dead after one bullet? Then that is one ferocious beast and all the more reason to keep shooting. Also I'm pretty sure it's standard training procedure for police, military and anyone else who uses a gun that you don't just fire once, then stop for 15 seconds and survey the scene, and then fire again if necessary.

The guy drove over to the scene of a SWAT team operation, he intentionally created a disturbance, and then his 100-pound dog -- of a breed that is known for particular strength and violence -- jumped the officers.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Gator, I really do think that the cops deserve to come home each and every night to their families. Get home in one piece. If we could freeze frame and stop, and have minutes to debate the course of action that the owner of the dog put everybody in, perhaps we can agree that things could have been done differently.

But nobody has that luxury in real time. Two cops are handling the perp. The third guy already has his gun. The dog is acting aggressively - I think we can all agree on that.

As far as the gun shots - what are you recommending from behind your keyboard? One? And then wait to see how the dog reacts?

Four wasn't enough, because the poor dog rolled around in pain. As bad as this sounds, they should have put the dog out of his misery.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Are you not behind a keyboard? Because you keep saying that.

It's fair to say we won't see eye to eye on this.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Expecting the police to be able to choose an appropriate weapon to respond to the situation, rather than immediately resorting to deadly force because the gun's a bit closer?

Yeah, totally unreasonable.

Where do you think they keep their pepper spray and Taser? Back in the car? In an ankle holster?

6. poindexter

Yes, I am behind a keyboard. And from here I appreciate that it is fucking hard to deal with rabble-rouser losers in an absolute shithole ghetto, a SWAT operation, and an angry rottweiler simultaneously.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Would you say he was ... uppity?

8. poindexter

No, I'd say he was a shitty fucking dog owner.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not about to turn this into a discussion about race, or even class, but you'll have to explain to me your thought process when continually interjecting the word "ghetto" into your argument. This could have happened anywhere. It could have been some rich, 17-year-old punk in Greenwich, Conn., who was simply trying to be a dick to the cops to impress his friends.

Again, my only argument is that it could have been handled better from top to bottom. What will be real interesting is how it plays out in the court, what damages are sought, etc.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sure, if that's all they were dealing with. The incident with the dog was not isolated, there was a bloody swat stand off at the time.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've read about a few times when a person attacks a cop with a weapon, and the cop shoots and kills them. Then the perp's family and friends complain about why the cop just didn't shoot the weapon out from the perp's hand, like it's the movies.

Thing is, cops aren't dealing with actors. They're dealing with life and death situations. And this guy made a dangerous situation even more dangerous. Unfortunatly, his dog paid the price for his owner's stupidity.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think he should have fired a fifth - to put the dog out of its suffering when it was flopping on the street.

Draft saved Draft deleted