1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop kills dog

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jul 2, 2013.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm also confused by what the guy was arrested for, although I haven't and won't watch the video, because I don't need to see that. But was he arrested for filming cops? Standing near a crime scene? What did he do wrong, because "obstruction" strikes me as "this guy's filming us and we don't like it."

I don't buy this whole "you do whatever the cop tells you to do," and especially not "you do whatever the guy with the badge and the gun tells you to do." Cops serve us, not the other way around, and that's true even if your wife once called the cops on you. If a cop doesn't want to be filmed, that's all the more reason to film him, as far as I'm concerned.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

1. It is the owner's #1 responsibility to control their dog. This loser did not (ready for the Sports Predictor slings because this loser happens to be black). Especially a rottweiler.
    2. They were in Hawthorne, a ghetto dump of a town. It was a SWAT standoff (you can see the SWAT bearcat in the street). Cops asked the dude stay back and he didn't comply. Dude has previous convictions for resisting, battery and driving under the influence.

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_23578147/hawthorne-police-kill-dog-during-arrest-owner?source=rss_viewed

As some, including resident Gabriel Martinez, aimed their cellphones at the scene to record it, Rosby drove up in his rented black Mazda. Swain said Rosby stopped in the intersection with music blaring from his windows. Officers told him to turn down the music because they were trying to hear what was happening down the street. Rosby pulled forward, parked and got out with his dog, but left the music still playing loudly.

If you don't want your rottweiler shot, keep him under control and don't interfere with police during a freaking SWAT standoff.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Kind of hard to keep your rottweiler under control when you're being handcuffed. And what does prior convictions have to do with a trigger happy cop?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If a dog that size lunged at you twice, how would you react?

5. poindexter

Keyboard superheros expect the police, during a SWAT standoff, to have a taser, a gun, and pepper spray ready; and toggle between any of the three, in less than a second.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How about don't be pacing the street with a Rottweiler in the lead-up? How about, as was said before on the thread, roll up the fucking windows?

It's pretty clear the guy went there to disturb the cops. He had his dog walking up to a SWAT operation. You can even hear on the original video the people laughing about how the guy with the dog is getting into it.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't know. I'm not trained to react in such a situation. I don't carry a gun.

And again, I'm not disagreeing that the dog should or should not have been shot (I think the situation could have been handled better, overall) but four rounds? FOUR ROUNDS? Unnecessary.

8. poindexter

Did you watch the video? He puts the dog in the car - with the windows down enough for the dog to get out.

What part of "the owner is responsible for the dog" do you not understand?

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If the cops are going to shoot to death every stray dog that escapes through an open car window, there's going to be a greater need on large plastic bags.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

All stray dogs that escape try to attack cops?

11. poindexter

Who are in the middle of a SWAT standoff?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Gator, now you're just ignoring what happens and what is plainly evident on the video. The dog did not merely "escape."

I have noticed a great effort throughout the Internet -- and also in some media accounts -- to create the narrative of owner and dog just peacefully minding their own business and then the dog gets shot. Various accounts fail to mention the owner's past brushes with police (except to note that he has charges pending against them); as I noted earlier, the link in the OP very much downplays the breed of dog and the dog's actions.

I also don't understand the objection to the four rounds. I'm pretty sure the first shot did all the damage necessary, would it have made you happy if he had stopped there?

Draft saved Draft deleted