1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop kills dog

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

This makes me so fucking sick. A guy is filming cops on a public street, and when the cops approach him, he puts his dog in the car. Dog sees his owner getting handcuffed, jumps out the window and a cop unloads on the dog.

Sorry if this is a d_b, but I didn't see it posted previously.

WARNING: The video is graphic, and not safe for work.

http://pix11.com/2013/07/01/california-police-shoot-bystanders-dog-in-disturbing-video/#axzz2XwHZGxx1

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I put it in Random Thoughts but it stands on its own merit.

There's a cop in Trenton is has become quite famous for shooting pitbulls dead.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Ah nuts ... sorry, should have checked there too. Feel free to delete, mods.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, it merits a thread.

It is such a quiet first 3 minutes until the shooting.

The dog squirming was uncomfortable, and it takes a lot to make me uncomfortable.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The part that bothers me the most is that is was just so unnecessary. And being a dog owner, seeing the guy's reaction just breaks my heart.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How should they have handled a Rottweiler lunging at them?

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ya know, I'm far from a defender of cops, but I couldn't help but wonder what might have been if this idiot had (a) not aggressively mouthed off and (b) rolled up the fucking window eight inches.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The story seemed to intentionally avoid identifying the breed as long as possible so we all get the impression the guy was just out walking his golden retriever Molly.

Attack dog attacks? This is a fitting response.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Something else besides killing first. If these idiots can't handle a good dog doing what comes naturally (coming to it's owners defense) in any manner other than "shoot first", then they should find another profession. That video made me sick. That dog did not need to be killed. We've some real trigger happy morons working in law enforcement.

And the "lunging" I saw in that video was not a dog in attack mode to my eyes, I know what an attacking dog looks like, and that wasn't it--that was more like a dog that was confused. The dipshit that fired the shots should have his gun, taser and other little toys taken away.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What are you talking about?

Go to the 3:15 mark. The dog, after already trying to bite one of the officers, is in mid-lunge -- on its hind legs already -- when he is shot. That's a dog that's attacking. Now officers are supposed to deduce a dog's intent when it comes after them?

People have Rottweilers and pit bulls for a reason. They want to be intimidating.

Also the guy had a case against the police last year, that case started with a call from the guy's wife over a domestic disturbance at the house. He sounds swell all around.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, I gotta stick with the cops, too.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Unlike most people on this site, I respect all opinions. To me, and only to me, I didn't see an attack dog. There's clearly a stigma attached to rottweilers and pit bulls. And understandably so. But not all rotties and pit bulls are attack dogs, and I didn't get that indication from this video, especially during the first 2 minutes, when what seemed to be a happy pup just milling around.

The guy involved is clearly a bonehead. There is no argument there. But, as Stoney mentioned, this cop was a bit too trigger happy. First off, if this dog was going to "attack" him, he'd have been on the ground with teeth buried into his neck. The "attack" dog, as you mentioned, jumps out of the car and starts sniffing the ground. Then does it again. Only when the officer approaches the dog does it lunge.

That being said, would one round have been enough? Two? Dude fires FOUR FUCKING ROUNDS. The officer panicked. Plain and simple. Not a guy I'd want on my police department. Imagine how he'd react in a real-life situation involving people.

Draft saved Draft deleted