1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop boots prone car-chase suspect in head, gets high-five from colleague

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, May 18, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would have let the dog find him first.

The cop should have been smarter than the kick. I am sure that driving knee to the back hurt more than the boot.

On a side note, the day is going to come when a guy is going to walk out the back door of one of these homes with a gun and kill one of these fleeing idiots. And since it happened on his property, the gun owner would be justified in many state legal systems.

2. 93Devil

The story was told to me years ago by a cop.

In Upstate New York, a man had killed a police officer in cold blood and in the following chase was cornered in a small remote building. There were a dozen or so cops surrounding the man, and all the cops agreed that they were going to do one of two things when this guy came out of the shack. They were either going to fire their weapon into the air or fire at the man exiting the building, armed or unarmed.

It was not an open casket.

I am very liberal on most issues, but not this one. You try to hurt a police officer, you need to get it back. Eye for an eye and then some. The BS stops when a cop says stop, and if you are not willing to do this, then you are accepting the immediate consequences when caught.

3. That's legalizing murder, 93.

4. 93Devil

I know, but deep down I don't think killing a cop and siting in the legal system for years is a fair trade.

5. 93Devil

Oh, my Uncle Bud (not overly tight with him) was a cop, so maybe that is biasing my opinion.

Heck, my dad was in juvi when he should have been graduating high school.

6. My grandfather was a cop.
    (My uncles were all priests, except for the doctor.)
    The problem with this attitude is that it leads, inevitably, to the Ramparts Division in LA, and to Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima. Cops, more than anyone else, cannot be vigilantes because they are too easily beyond the law.

7. 93Devil

OK, then give these guys five years in prison no questions asked anytime they run.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The key word here is that cops are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS and not just another punk off the street with a badge and a gun.

9. Nope.
    Sorry.
    And I would point out that there are certain occasions when innocent people might well think that the proper response is to get the hell as far away from the police as possible. Patrick Dorismond tried to get away from someone he didn't KNOW was a cop, and he got shot dead anyway.

10. 93Devil

There is a chance a person will be killed driving on I-95 this weekend. Does it mean we shut it down?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, well, unfortunately, too many cops are still playing the asshole role that they played all through high school and college, except now they have they have the badge and the gun to complement the chip on the shoulder.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have done the job. And what happened here is wrong. The cop let the adrenaline get the best of him, and he should/will pay for it.

You are/were a police officer?

Draft saved Draft deleted