1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cop boots prone car-chase suspect in head, gets high-five from colleague

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, May 18, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ho....lee......fuck :eek:

It had better come out that this guy did something really bad other than flee from police, or else the shit is gonna hit the fan in El Monte, California.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090514/video/vwl-us-suspect-kicked-on-camera-15af341.html

I apologize if this is a d_b but I didn't see anything after searching up "police brutality" and "kick head chase" (and I didn't use the quotes in the search function).

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

That's police brutality at its finest.

I'm sure he'll apologize for deliberately kicking a surrendered man in the head. And by that, he will mean "I'm sorry I got caught."

It's hard to take the authority of the law seriously when the authority continues to abuse it's power. Same goes for politicians.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Damn. That's not good.

I would've went for the nuts.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I actually watched this chase live for probably about a half hour, through to the finish.

My two chief reactions are:

1. The cop needs to be severely punished, including dismissal.

2. The guy he kicked richly deserved it, and is damn lucky he got out of this with just a kick to the head.

The dude was driving with an unbelievable disregard for everyone around him. At one point he was driving on the sidewalk, whizzing about a foot past a school crossing guard. When the chase ended it was because he was driving down the wrong side of the road and sideswiped a truck that was coming head-on toward him. He then lost control, plowing into the side of another oncoming car.

Dude's a hardcore career scumbag with tattoos all over his face.

But sorry, officer, you don't get to kick him in the head, and the stupidity of doing it with at least two TV choppers circling overhead is frankly stunning.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You nailed it PC. Guy deserved to get kicked in the head. But the police shouldn't be the one making those "instant justice" decisions because they have a way of dispensing it to people who don't deserve it as well as those who do.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Do suspects often pretend to surrender as a ruse to get police to let their guard down?
    That's about the only defense I can think of for what the cops did.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I disagree that he deserved to get kicked in the head. If he was resisting arrest, sure, then all bets are off. But he was already on the ground spreadeagle, and not resisting at all.

That cop deserves to not only lose his job, he needs to do some time for that. No defense.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the guy is a pig.

the PD needs to be above that type of shit. if you aren't, find another line of work.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

FootballBat....the guy resisted arrest for a half hour the second he decided to speed off and risk the lives of innocent people.

He deserves a lot worse than a kick in the head....but the cop isn't the one that should be doling out that punishment.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Would you feel any differently about this if the guy would have crashed into a car while speeding the wrong way in the chase and killed, say, a 5-year-old child?

That's what 'small potatoes' was referring to -- is this a ruse to make the police let their guard down?

Who is to say that, in that situation, a suspect ditches a car in a certain place after a high-speed chase, runs to another nearby place and lays down in a 'surrender pose' -- only to have another nearby person, one of his "crew", hidden in the brush where the choppers can't see him, with a rifle, picking off police officers?

Sorry -- if you're leading police on a high-speed chase that puts the lives of dozens of people at risk... I'm not going to lose any sleep over a kick to the head.

Besides, what I'm more disappointed with here is the lack of endurance training in today's criminals. 30 years ago, most scofflaws could eat up the full 9 blocks and still bring the heat near the end. Now they're lucky to only go 5 or 6 blocks on a good outing. It's as if, when the criminal gets to 120 or 130 on his 'stride count', he has to come out.

"Ain't that a kick in the head?" - D. Martin.

11. There are procedures in place in every police department in the world about how to handle suspects once they've surrendered. These are designed to take ruses into account. None of them include "one free boot to the melon." Cop needs to be tried.

12. Honestly, I lose no sleep over the guy gettign kicked in the head either, but this guy just got very rich at the cities expense.

Draft saved Draft deleted