1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooperstown trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Yeah, spend two days at the baseball hall of fame with "brides." You can spend the third day preparing for divorce proceedings ;)

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I liked the town better than the museum. Give it a whole day to do it all.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Pick a better bride. ;)

4. KP

KP Active Member

There is a decent hotel (Best Western?) south of town (15-20 min? been a while). Obvious drawback is that you aren't near the lake.

Some of those places coming in from the north are scary.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've heard the Lakefront, which is about a block or two from the Hall of Fame isn't too bad.

Anyone heard anything different?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Maybe no murdering, but skeevy as fuck places nonetheless. My wife still shudders talking about the place she stayed with her grandparents about 25 years ago.

You can do a lot worse than staying 25 minutes out of town at one of the big chain places in Oneonta.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly pick the wrong place and you'll wake up with nightmares 25 years later.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

We actually stayed a night longer than planned (instead ofnleaving at night, opted to take off the next morning) and opted for the cheaper Lakefront for the last night... at least I think it was the Lakefront. Is that the motel with the attached restaurant (fish dangling everywhere from the ceiling)? If so, it was pretty decent, was only about $70 for the night. Good breakfast there, then we hit the road for an 8-hour trek back home.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think the Lakefront is the closest one to the Hall of Fame, down on Fair Street.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just checked google maps. Yep, that's it. Rooms weren't anything fancy, but clean. Price was damned good, considering the proximity.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nothing's too far from the Hall of Fame. Cooperstown isn't very big.

I will echo that you need to allow for a full day to see the museum. Haven't been to Springfield or the Hockey HOF but the Baseball HOF is light years better than the Pro and College FB HOFs.

As great as the exhibits are, I'd love to see what they have in storage.

Also, there is a great hat store down the street from the Hall. They have all kinds of old-time lids if you're looking for a good wearable souvenir.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

At one place in town one year, I saw the rarest of the rare Texas Rangers hats...one with this logo on it:

[​IMG]

I didn't get it for some reason, and haven't seen it anywhere in numerous visits since. Still really want that puppy. Hey A_QB, help out a fellow Night Ranger fan!!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted