1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooperstown trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2009.

1. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Wife and I drove down from Toronto during the LCS a few years ago. Seemed to me an ideal time given the playoffs and leaves changing colour etc. I enjoyed the 5 hours in the museum but parts of it were closed. The town is beautiful and shops close early.

If you have the time I highly reccommend the drive to Corning and check out the glass museum. Unless you have a weird hatred of all things glass, you won't be sorry. Fascinating place. Beautiful drive through rolling upstate New York hills on a 4 lane divided highway.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

You sure didn't seem to fuckin mind it when we closed the place!!! :D :D

And really, considering it was your first warm meal in three time zones and two days, you should just shut the hell up!!!!

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I blame the company I kept. And the Simpsons.

Geez, wasn't that the truth. What a debacle.

And fuck Continental, while we're at it. (I've made about a dozen plane reservations since then, and not a one with those fuckers. Not even for a connection.)

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Like others have said, don't shoehorn it in if you don't have to. The hall is fantastic, and Cooperstown... well, it's like time stopped in 1950. Like they filmed Leave it to Beaver there.

Take time to enjoy the hall, the shops, Doubleday Field, all of it. There's also a batting cage next to the field where you can take your cuts.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

As a chick who had a fabulous time in Cooperstown, I'll add this:

If the wives have any smidgen of an interest in baseball, they definitely need to do at least half a day at the museum. They will dig things like the movie memorabilia and the collection of World Series rings. And just to say they've been.

If the wives have a favorite team and know how to keep book, go for a full day.

If the wives have pictures of dead baseball players hanging in their living rooms, plan for two days.

If the wives have a complete aversion to anything sports-related, I did notice there were several signs for spas in the Cooperstown areas. There were also some non-baseball gift shops and stuff to check out, plus the lake.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let's not get carried away now. Modern capitalism is thriving at most of those shops on Main Street.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Depends on what you mean by "see it." The museum, for a even moderate baseball fan, should be allotted a full day. If the wives are less interested, they can break off after lunch and there is plenty else to do downtown.

I am in love with the town -- it redefines "charming" -- so for me it would be a shame to do a drop-in. But if they're on a tight schedule, it's still worth going. Make sure they know they're looking at a minimum of seven hours each way from Pittsburgh, so that's basically two days out of their trip just getting to and from there.

The Otesaga is the gold standard if you were going there as a destination trip, but there is plenty of reasonable lodging there (away from HOF weekend, of course). Here's the lodging guide the town puts out, with lots of links to little B&Bs and motels:
    http://www.cooperstown.net/#easyguide

If you stay up 80, on the West side of the lake, you can score cheap rates at acceptable (though by no means fancy) motels. I've stayed at the Lake 'n Pines a couple of times. Quaint, workable, cheap.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

pick the wrong one on that list and you are thrown into a real life Bates motel adventure.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I still have the beer glass I got with my lunch at the Doubleday Cafe when the wife and I went years ago. Would love to go back.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There's also the Farmer's Museum and the Fenimore Art Museum in Cooperstown if anyone wants a change of pace from baseball.

Also, there are boat rides available on the lake.

What a great town.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Look for B&B's. Stayed at a nice one once, but it was years ago.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Really? A lot of innkeepers murdering guests in Cooperstown? You'd think something like that would be publicized.

Draft saved Draft deleted