1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooperstown trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is from my brother-in-law:

Can you put the word out to some sportswriters and find someone who has actually been to the HOF. How long should we allot to see it? 1/2 day? Day? Two days? Remembering we'll have the brides with us. Thanks.

We're a group of six, planning on a stop in Pittsburgh for two games at PNC Park and then a visit to Cooperstown. Advice on such a trip is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You can do the HOF in a half-day... unless you go into the Giamatti library. :)

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speak for yourself. The Hall's an all-day visit, easily. (But, you know, consider the source here. ;))

Seriously, if you've never been to the Hall and are even remotely a baseball fan (however casual), don't try to squeeze it in for three hours and then be done with it. Outside of the Smithsonian or maybe the Getty or the Art Institute, there is no better-presented, more entertaining or more awe-inspiring museum in the country.

There are three floors to go through, plus the plaque gallery and the Bullpen Theater. Oh, plus the library behind the plaque gallery. ...Plus the gift store. ... Plus walking down Main Street, and all the shops and cafes. ... Plus Doubleday Field. ... Plus the lake.

I mean ... take two days (in case you only spend half of the first day in the museum and the other half outside.) Yeah. There's enough to see, even for the "brides".

And if you want more detailed recommendations, PM me. (Or check out my previous Cooperstown posts.)

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yea, I gotta agree with buckw here. I may not be as big into baseball as him, although it's probably pretty close, and I'd definitely want to use two days for it.

I had wanted to make a return trip there last summer, but never got a chance to. I'm hoping to do that this spring or summer.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's at least a day. If the brides don't want to go, or want to leave early, there are other things for them to do in Cooperstown.

6. I would say at least a day, too. I spent hours just in the Hall reading pretty much all the plaques. Outside the HOF, the town is great to just walk around and look at the houses and the shops. The wives would love the walk around.

Eat at Shoeless Joe's. I remember it being very good.

7. Hank_Scorpio

There's a barbecue place in nearby Oneonta that is very good.

And damn it, I'm drawing a blank on the name right now.

Edit: It's Brooks BBQ.

8. Is that the one with the sign that says, "Real Texas Bar-B-Q?"

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You can do it in one day but 2 days is ideal. One full day at museum and the next just walking around Cooperstown taking in the shops.

If you can get in the place to stay is the Osteaga Inn which is closest hotel to town.

http://www.otesaga.com/. Stunningly beautiful setting on a lake just outside the town. Otherwise the hotels are pretty spread out.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

For some reason, people from, oh, Connecticut and places at that latitude -- not to name any names 8) -- seem to have fallen head over heels for Brooks. It's good, don't get me wrong.

But those of us from below the Mason-Dixon Line have, uhh, better taste in barbeque. :D

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Whoa, where is that place? Must have missed it last time (although, to be fair, we got kicked out of the museum at closing time and very little was open by the time we left.)

12. Hank_Scorpio

Me being a northerner, I guess I'm grouped in there eh? :D

But yeah, it ain't Texas/southern BBQ.

Draft saved Draft deleted