1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooper Manning: What about me, AP guy?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Aug 21, 2007.

1. However you pronounce it, C. Manning is a very cool fellow.

2. Technically, isn't the story still right? Peyton is his other son. So is Cooper.
    I guess "another son" would have been closer, but I don't think it's that bad.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Other means one of two.

Another means one of several.

4. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

Slow day on the board, eh?

5. Dictionary.com has "being the remaining one of two or more: the other hand." as one possible meaning.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I apologize then. But in common use, it's generally other or another.

7. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

They almost prounounce it like Cup-uh. Damn New Orleanians!

8. I agree. I said earlier he should have used "another." I'm just saying it's not the worst example of poor word choice I've ever seen.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's pretty bad to me.

10. This scenario always confuses me so I'm not sure about this, but isn't the issue here the use of commas?

In other words, the way the story was written -- "Manning's father, Archie, said at a charity bowling event in Indianapolis for his other son, Super Bowl MVP Peyton, that he had not counseled the Giants quarterback on how to handle the situation." -- would be offensive to Cooper because "Super Bowl MVP Peyton" with commas around it is a non-restrictive clause. That means you could take the phrase out without changing the meaning of the sentence and that implies in this case that Archie only has one other son, Peyton.

If the sentence had just been written -- "Manning's father, Archie, said at a charity bowling event in Indianapolis for his other son Super Bowl MVP Peyton that he had not counseled the Giants quarterback on how to handle the situation." -- that would have been much less offensive to Cooper, because without the commas around "Super Bowl MVP Peyton" it becomes a restrictive clause. That means if you take the clause out of the sentence it changes the meaning of the sentence and in this case would mean that Archie has at least one other son.

The commas would apply to using other or another, but IMHO another would be a better word choice.

11. Who's the only begotten son?

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

simple solution: "... his other NFL son, Superbowl MVP Peyton ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted