1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest "Who have you seen live" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never saw Stompin' Tom but Kim Mitchell was another Canuckistani music legend who always put on a great show, it wasn't a summer in the 1980s if you didn't see him at least once.

Saw The Hip a few times and they were always great. The last show in Kingston brought Canadians together in a way they'd only done previously if there was a hockey game involved.

Iron_chet, FileNotFound and misterbc like this.
  2. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Staying with Canada for a sec....
    Triumph (why everyone hates them I have no idea) and Ian Thomas in 78 or 79 at Max Bell Arena in Calgary. MB was at that time a small community arena with capacity including standing room of less than 2000, probably. Fairly low ceiling , typical small rink. The concert was sponsored by CJ92 FM (CJAY) and the tix were $3.92, hell of a deal. As it turned out Ian Thomas played for almost 2 hours and was worth the price of admission but then Triumph just blew the lid off the place. Huge amp setup. Concert started at 7 and ended around 11:45 and it was pretty damn hazy in there. Rick Emmit is a hell of a guitar player. Couldn’t hear properly for a day or two.

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I saw this tour; they performed together at Vandy's Memorial Gym. Awesome, awesome show from both acts.

Iron_chet likes this.
  4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Left Prince off my list ... my wife is a huge fan, and we went to see him on Nov. 19, 2000, in Grand Rapids, Mich. Lake-effect snow made him late getting to the show (and getting home afterward an adventure), but it was well worth it. Played close to 2.5 hours and did two encores — the first was several of his more recent (1990s) hits, like Gett Off. Then he came out again, strapped on his guitar and shredded through a medley of Santana songs.

misterbc likes this.
  5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was never a Triumph fan, although when I was in high school in the late-70s-early-80s, they were right up there with Rush and Zeppelin as the most popular bands among those of us in the rock and roll crowd. Their breakup was really messy, Much Music did a great doc on it that rivalled anything you'd see on Behind the Music.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Black Flag. 1980 or 1981 at the original 9:30 Club in DC

Martha Reeves without the Vandellas at a club in Georgetown 1979ish

Carole King 1978 Constitution Hall

Talking Heads August 1983 Merriweather Post

Draft saved Draft deleted