1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest story/member in your family tree

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jun 12, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

:D :D :D :D

That's awesome.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Most interesting.

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

An uncle was a talented journalist, good enough to write for the Plain Dealer.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I've been told on numerous occasions that I am somehow related to Robert E. Lee.

Also, I've been told, my grandpa on my dad's side apparently got to catch a few bullpen sessions by Bob Feller when he was growing up, he then got a scholarship to Texas A&M and led them to a SWC title in 1942 before his class was pushed through to graduation and folded into the army. Following his service -- of which he was highly decorated -- he apparently was offered tryouts or minor league deals with a couple of MLB teams including I believe the St. Louis Cardinals and Cleveland Indians but turned them down because he wanted to focus on raising a family.

My other grandpa was a photographer during WWII, was used on scouting missions in the belly of planes to photograph targets before attacks. The cool part was he also got to photograph the surrender of Japan on board the USS Missouri.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have no clue about anyone past my grandparents. Until I learn more, I'm by far the coolest story in my family. 8)

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have a second cousin who is some spare tight end for the Packers.

7. Two: My cousin Camille "The Boogie Rhythm Girl" Howard was a singer who played with Roy Milton in the 1940s and was a fairly successful entertainer before she stop in the mid 1950s because the wave of rock and roll conflicted with her religious beliefs.

My great grandfather was a SS/3B on the verge of beginning his career in the Negro Leagues before World War II came along. Joined the Merchant Marines and was twice sunk by U-boats running in the Murmansk, narrowly avoiding capture the second time. Died at 91 when he had a heart attack in his car on the way to the liquor store for some Jack Daniels.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

My mom went to grade school with one Stephen Orr Spurrier until, as they say in the south, the Lord called his preacher dad to go preach in Johnson City, TN.

My dad played baseball with him and SWEARS that SOS was a better pitcher than he was a QB.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Rowr.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Still chuckling at how my grandmother must have looked while counting car laps at North Wilkesboro in the days before electronic scoring.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm related to the Dalton Gang as well as Wild Bill Hitchcock.
    But the coolest member of my family was my third cousin Bo, who lost his battle with cancer a few months back.
    He was a terrific defense attorney in Fort Lauderdale, ran for state office while in college in Baltimore and was an amazing photographer. He talked his way into shooting for Playboy and did a lot of work for them and started some of the magazine's special section. He talked women he thought should be models into sunrise photo shoots and made quite a secondary career out of it.
    I never realized how big he was in Fort Lauderdale until his death.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2012-03-05/news/fl-bo-hitchcock-obit-20120305_1_law-day-law-partnership-travel-and-adventure

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ouch.

Draft saved Draft deleted