1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest Pregame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 25, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"Taps" and a quarter-million people in rapt silence is spellbinding. My favorite part of the 500.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

This is a homer pick, but the pre-game video highlighting the history of Kansas basketball combined with the Rock Chalk Chant, alma mater and fight song will give you goose bumps.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

FWIW on the Haka.

I spent a bit of time in the Sout Pacific and had a few non-Kiwi Polynesians tell me that while the Haka looks fierce, the story it tells is prettly lame, something about a bird hiding than coming back to see if it was safe.

I had a couple Tongan guys tell me that other Hakas told much better/fiercer stories.

This being said, seeing the All Blacks do the Haka before playing Australia in the Bledsoe Cup was awesome beyond words.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

A bird? Not quite.

http://www.newzealand.com/travel/about-nz/features/haka-feature/haka.cfm
    http://www.newzealand.com/travel/media/features/maori-culture/maori-culture_all-black-haka_feature.cfm

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the googling!

I knew it was something about hiding from your enemies.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Euless Trinity, the No. 2 team in the nation (behind South Panola, Miss.)

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Look, I'm a jam band fan. I've seen the Dave Matthews Band dozens of times, but when a college team comes out to a DMB song it shouldn't be included in the list. Same for any team entering to Metallica.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Maybe it's because the team sucked, the fans were apathetic and the thing had been overhyped to me all my life, but I went to a game at Death Valley in '03 and couldn't find anything that great about Clemson's intro.

And I just don't really buy canned music. Enter Sandman, meh.

9. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Woody Hayes.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

The Haka is fantastic.

Seeing every high school team in the country trying to do it, not so much.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Euless Trinity.

Same high school that was used in that Gatorade commercial with Bill Parcells.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

There's a huge group of Tongans in Euless (both size of the group and size of the, well, Tongans). They have some of the biggest high school linemen I've ever seen, and I can't begrude them for bringing their culture with them.

The 5-8 white cornerback doing a haka (or whatever the Tongan's call their version), though, makes me laugh. A lot.

And being in the middle of this
    would scare the tar out of me.

Draft saved Draft deleted