1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest Pregame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

To me the coolest pre game ritual is the players just running onto field and then going out and kicking ass. Simple but effective.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I can live with other Polynesian nations doing it. I think maybe Tonga and a couple of others do because it's their heritage as well. When the University of Hawaii does it ... uh, no.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Enter Sandman is cool. It's not original, but it is cool.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Because there are no Polynesians in Hawaii?
    Huh?

5. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

New Hampshire ice hockey - all the lights at the Whittemore Center are turned off and the sound system, cranked to the highest volume, starts blasting "Carmina Burana." First, the mascots skate out, then the players skate out in single-file formation.

This description doesn't do it justice, though. Nor does this video (maybe it's the thunderstix)

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

This stretches the idea of "pre-game" somewhat, but within the context:

KENTUCKY DERBY: Call to post, "My Old Kentucky Home" and loading the horses into the gate.

INDIANAPOLIS 500-MILE RACE: Taps, "Back Home Again" (particularly with Jim Nabors) and "(Ladies and) Gentlemen, start your engines."

OLYMPIC OPENING CEREMONIES: Entrance of the athletes, Olympic flag, Olympic hymn, oath and the torchbearer, followed by the lighting of the flame.

Those are ones that makes the hairs of the back of my neck stand at attention every time.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Only New Zealand does the Haka. Other nations have their own rituals, like Fiji and the Cibi:

UH used to do the Haka but stopped when they got called out for chumping the All Blacks' style. I think the Sugar Bowl year was the first with their own ritual, which they called the ha'a (as opposed to the A-Ha).

8. Shoeless Joe

Polynesians in Hawaii yes, but a whole lot non Polynesians on the football team... a whole of of kids on the football team that doesn't know what the hell Polynesian means.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

I'm absolutely biased, but to me, there's nothing better in sports than the 15-minutes leading up to the Kentucky Derby. It's such a simple, elegant lead-in followed by two minutes of absolute madness, and none of it is manufactured.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think when they did it on the Real World Road Rule Challenge - they pretty much killed it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Shoeless Joe

never seen it in person, but the Oregon Duck riding in on the motorcycle seems pretty cool, too

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted