1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest Pregame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shoeless Joe, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

What do you consider the coolest pregame ritual in sports?

I love college football because the pregame matters. I love Tennessee's band major high stepping out and then the Vols running through the T. I like Colorado running a buffalo out onto the field, Florida State having a real Seminole riding out and stabbing a flaming spear into the turf, Oklahoma driving a wagon out, Ohio State dots the I, etc.

But to me, one of the coolest pregame rituals is the All Blacks doing their haka. My wife always bitches about it. I just tell her "you don't get it." It's a challenge. I will say, I don't get opposing teams locking arms and walking up to them. I'd turn my back on those fuckers.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

South Carolina coming out to the "2001 Space Odyssey" theme is very cool the first time you see it.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The All Blacks' haka is the coolest by a margin that would make Secretariat envious.

At a distant second, I'll nominate Liverpool fans singing "You'll Never Walk Alone."

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

FC St. Pauli...Hell's Bells.

Google it.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

End of Thread.

6. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

not so fast my friend!

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Ralphie is pretty damn cool. Even if the team is garbage.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A minor one, but one I love nonetheless, is hearing the fans sing "The Star Spangled Banner" before a game at a large SEC stadium. First noticed at LSU, but have since heard it at a few other places in the SEC and I'm sure other places do the same thing.
    First time I heard 90,000 people singing it in Tiger Stadium after 9/11, it took everything I had not to weep openly. Even now, hearing it sung loudly enough to be heard over the band gives me goosebumps.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Homer Simpson's arena-entrance song when he boxed Derek Tatum.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Not an LSU fan at all, but I get chills anytime I'm in the stadium and I see this:

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

No "coolest pregame" includes a pregame movie that long, entirely average music and utterly mundane computer animation.

The Va. Tech one was sweet.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Enter Sandman, and it's not even close.

I've noticed the Redskins have been playing that right before intros, too, lately. Not sure if that's new, but I'm just now noticing it. And the local morning sports talk show has been using that as their intro music the last couple months because of the VT thing.

Basically, it's the tits.

Draft saved Draft deleted