1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest place you've ever played a sports event.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 30, 2013.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Walked a marathon in Kona, Hawaii on the running course for the Ironman.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Softball games at Dodger Stadium and Anaheim Stadium.

I worked as an usher at Dodger Stadium while in college and we played a few games against Angels ushers.

We also got to play softball at Dodger Stadium following the final Sunday home game each season. I learned that partway through my first season in 1980 and looked forward to it the rest of the way.

Following the last game, we were on the field playing catch when we were kicked off because the Dodgers had swept the Astros over the weekend, forcing a one-game playoff on Monday and they didn't want us messing up the field.

Another year, I peed against the outfield wall standing next to Peter O'Malley's nephew.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Played in an amateur hardball league in San Diego for a couple years, and we played one game at San Diego High School's field in Balboa Park — which uses the same ancient field that Ted Williams played on as a kid. Dugouts looked like they hadn't been cleaned since 1936, too. What I remember most is that it was on the flight path to nearby San Diego airport, so descending jets were flying hundreds of feet over our heads during the whole game. Freaky.

We played another game at David Wells Field in Point Loma — which is the same field that famed alums Wells and Don Larsen used in high school.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In high school, swam a couple of meets at the Santa Clara Internatiional Swim Center.

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The old Checkerdome in St. Louis. Twice.

Played six minutes in an undistingushed performance on the basketball court while in high school at the Coca-Cola Shootout. During the dead balls, I was looking around and thinking Walton going 21-for-22 vs. Memphis State.

The other trip there was ten years before. MISL. Halftime of a Steamers game and we played ten minutes on that 1982 AstroTurf. Even got to meet Steve Zungul. King of all indoors.

I did have an unofficial moment of glory. Kicking field goals in an inebriated state at Camp Randall at 3 in the morning. Hit one from 35 and started running around like an airplane with my arms until the stadium lights came on.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Only because your car broke down, though, right?

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Of course. But if I didn't have to drive it through all that water from the mainland, it wouldn't have happened.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Show Place Arena in Upper Marlboro. I played a media vs. former NFL players game on the same field as the local indoor football team.

Taking it to umpiring, I umped a few games at the Bowie Baysox stadium.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I ran a big 5K in Chicago. They closed down Michigan Avenue and we ran down the street most of the route before ending in Grant Park. There was something cool about being in a place you normally weren't supposed to be running.

10. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

As part of the Women's Basketball Final Four several years ago, I took batting practice in the batting cages in the Big Green Monster in Fenway Park. What an awesome experience.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I played a game of pocket pool in the Silverdome.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So did Matt Millen for a whole year before Ford Field opened.

Draft saved Draft deleted