1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest place you've ever played a sports event.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 30, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I shot some baskets at Hinkle Fieldhouse (Butler). And yes, the rims are 10 feet high, just like back home in Hickory.

I kicked some field goals at both Michigan Stadium and Notre Dame Stadium. Jesus signalled the kick was good.

Took BP at Tiger Stadium. Hit a couple fly balls that rolled almost to the warning track.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Playing pick up hockey in the dead of winter at night on an outdoor rink by my buddy's place on the Alberta Pairies. The quintessential Canadian experience. Loved it. The place itself was a shithole, but the setting could not be beat. Did it for most of my high school years.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I played basketball in Allen Fieldhouse during the Sunflower State games as a kid. There were multiple games going on with the bleachers pushed back and three or four courts running sideways, so it was awesome, but not exactly like playing a real game there.

For me, a better experience was when I was a student at KU. Every once in a while I'd grab a ball and go shoot around in there on an afternoon when I knew nothing was going on. Shooting around in the empty old barn and looking up at the banners and retired jerseys is unreal.

One afternoon I was in there and Marian Washington, who was the women's coach at the time, came in. We knew each other and had our ups and downs while I was covering her team for the student paper and she gave me what I thought was a dirty look and I said I'd get out of there. She smiled and said, "No, everybody should get to do this at least once."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've played catch with two HOF quarterbacks and two more who are eventually going to Canton. All were for photo shoots.

I've taken batting practice in three major league stadiums for media events.

I'm not a Celtics fan on any level, but shooting hoops with Bird in a NBA arena was by far the coolest...

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Hoops at MSG -- for a couple of years, the winner of each division of the NYC corporate league would play the winner of the equivalent division of the NYC lawyer's league.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

When I worked at one of the NYC area airports they had an annual LGA-JFK hoops game at MSG. I didn't play cause I suck at hoops, but I went to support some of my friends. All of them said it was a rush playing on that court.

A couple of the guys played ball at Rucker once in a while also.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I've fished with Felipe Lopez and Kurt Thomas and had to put life jackets on both them because they were not the best of swimmers, according to them.

This was off of a dock on a lake.

8. 93Devil

Leader in the clubhouse...

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I have turned laps at Bristol in a race car and in my truck. I honestly think doing it in my truck was cooler because it wasn't sanctioned. I have also participated in drag races at Thunder Valley. When I ran the Knoxville marathon, the finish line was the 50 at Neyland Stadium. That was probably the coolest.

10. 93Devil

I have had Arie Luyendyk catch the back tires of a ZR1 on fire then drop it into an immediate bitch flip and race down the road. I was about 10 feet from his car when he did the 180. There were two mounds of black powder left on the road.

He was showing off for a bunch of Formula One buddies because the ZR1 had just come out.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I was never nearly good enough for Rucker. I have played at West 4th, but early in the morning on a weekend, just to say that I did it. I also played in a tournament at the American Airlines Arena in Miami -- the orange and yellow seats behind the backboards made it really hard to shoot.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

H.O.R.S.E. in a hangar in which 13 years of MEDEVAC units have served forces in Afghanistan
    Volleyball on the beach in Diego Garcia
    Hide the sausage in Bryant-Denny

Draft saved Draft deleted