1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest place you've ever played a sports event.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by micropolitan guy, May 30, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

In college I played a spring soccer game at UVA's Scott Stadium. It wasn't anywhere near as big as it is now, it was only about 35-40 K, but it was a neat experience. I also had black toe for about two months because the Astroturf sucked so bad.

Also used to run on the track at old Stanford Stadium (85K) when I visited there, that was sweet, and I have finished road races at Hayward Field. We regularly played pickup basketball games in my alma mater's arena (9k), and also at the Microville Tech arena after moving there. Fun times.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Tiger Stadium. Media game. I was 2-for-3 with a walk.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, I got to play basketball at halftime of a Laker game back when they still played in the Forum.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Played summer camp basketball on the main floor of JMU's Convocation Center. It's laughable now obviously, but back then, that was a huge deal. Hitting the game-winning FTs in the final seconds helped.

5. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

The university basketball team I played on briefly in the mid 80s toured the U.S. every year. The season I was with them we played at Missouri, UAB, SMU, Oral Roberts, and Ole Miss.
    When I was a kid our hockey team played at Winnipeg Arena. Got beat 10-0 if I recall.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The Spectrum in Philadelphia. Media game for my alma mater's conference tourney.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Back in the ABL days, I was waiting around to interview KC Jones, who was coaching the New England Blizzard and as I was pacing on the court, one of the Blizzard's PR people came out with Larry Bird and the three of us shot hoops while we waiting for KC.

Fucking surreal.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

The old Boardwalk & Baseball stadium in Haines City, FL. I seem to recall the dimensions were exactly like Royals Stadium.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

HS: JV soccer game at Compton High.

2 places stick out as a sportswriter. The first one was UCSB's Thunderdome (THUNDERDOME!) for a Santa Barbara County media hoops game.

Then in '99 I went to a Cincinnati Reds open tryout at Windsor High (Vermont) and showed 'em what I (didn't) got. Faced 6 batters, and while my BABiP and WAR weren't great, none of them scored.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just waiting for Hondo or one of the golf experts to chime in with the "Played media day at Augusta..." which would be game, set and match...

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I played catch with Randall Cunningham at halftime of a UNLV football game at Sam Boyd Stadium.

Also played a intramural football game at Husky Stadium, that was pretty awesome.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wasn't the place that was cool cuz it was a rinky-dink HS basketball court, but I played in one of those media games against some of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Pretty sure they don't do those things anymore. Biggest names I remember playing against were Fred McAfee and Jerry Olsavsky.

We were crushed by like 50 points. I was high scorer on my team with 7 points, and I wasn't even very good. I banked in a 3-pointer. I was admonished by my team for actually playing defense by trying to prevent someone from getting a flying jump on a dunk try.

Draft saved Draft deleted