1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Coolest job

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 28, 2011.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Groundskeeper at a historic sports venue like Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Churchill Downs, Augusta, etc. Getting paid to take care of a place with so much tradition would be cool.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Reminded me of this

http://www.slate.com/id/2150516/

i remember my buddy sending it to me. he understood and said the same thing pretty much, (mostly) anything after a while becomes just a job.

my pick would probably be the same as NoOneLikesUs. at first i was thinking bababooey's job, but he really has the pressure and gets ridiculed the most (although not as much as he used to). i would rather be will or jason, maybe even JD, just watch TV and cut clips that Howard can use.

back in college i remember talking with a buddy about how being a major league baseball player would be the best job. but my buddy said being in a great band is better because there are no slumps, just personal conflicts.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

IMHO; Jim Nantz has the best job in the world.

Spends his year working the old 9-5 at places like Augusta, the Super Bowl every other year, and the Final Four.

Also, the poor bastard on mlb who is in his apartment doing nothing but watching baseball games and doing networking about it.

I happen to think I have a very cool job at a radio station. Of course, I'm a radio nerd, so I may be bias, but I feel very fortunate.

A couple more I thought of;

Alan Roach has one of the best jobs in the world. KOA, pa at Invesco.......

MLB Umpire also.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

I have a freelancer that does work with BTN, ESPN, etc. He always has some great stories to tell about the gigs.
    Now live TV as in local news? That has to be one of the worst jobs in the world. Journalism pay with twice the stress.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My buddy is a head pro at a country club that has about 200 members, and while it's a good gig, you're basically being paid to put up with members' bullshit - the rough is too long; I don't want to play behind Larry's group because they take too long; what do you mean I can't bring three guest during rush hour on Saturday morning; how come the greens have to be aerated and we can't use the course all week - for 12 hours a day, seven days a week, nine months a year.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

A friend of my best friend's dad is the guy in charge of azalea's at Augusta. Pretty neat gig, there, I think.

7. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

When I find a good story, decide what I'm going to do each day when I wake up and live where I want, and often get to work on a book I really want to write while being at home and still able to watch my daughter grow up, I have the best job. And feel very fortunate.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mark Cuban

Dan Rooney

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I'd like to be some kind of rep for Harley where you ride into the major rallies (Daytona, Sturgis, Laconia, Myrtle Beach) and pass out schwag and buy rounds for people. I don't know if there is such a job, but I'd like to have it.

I'd also like to be a ranger at a national park. You are a government employee so you get days off and great benefits while spending your time outside talking about the Civil War or telling people not to feed the bears.

I'll also second the mid-level singer that gets the perks but doesn't have all the hassles of a major star.

10. Stefan123

Stefan123 Guest

Well i am doing my coolest job, and i am happy with it.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you are ever around Worthington, PA, ask for a volunteer wildlife officer named Jack. He has had a pretty cool run.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

1. Trophy Wife (as long as I can still cover a game or two).

2. Used CD store employee. I did this for three years in the late 90s and it was awesome. The only problem was it wasn't that busy (Napster was just starting to take its toll). In a bigger city, that would be the life.

Draft saved Draft deleted