1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool story: Ravens use firemen as scout team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Jan 10, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9049256/Local-firemen-give-Ravens-a-hand-in-practice?MSNHPHCP&gt1=39002

Check it out.. A really cool story and a great job by the Baltimore Sun reporter putting together a good story.

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Great story. And the (excellent) writer didn't feel the need to try to make it an epic in tone or length. Very nice.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Cool story, great ready, nice angle for a story heading into a playoff game.

NFL will probably find a way to say this sort of scout team is illegal.

4. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Fun, different, light and yet still relative to the game. Kudos.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm reading Stefan Fatsis's book on being a kicker for the Broncos. In it, he said even though he wasn't officially on the team, just volunteering, the Broncos were actually concerned that the league would nix his participation on the grounds that they would have a competitive advantage (i.e. Jason Elam wouldn't have to kick as much in practice and be more rested for the season).

Sarcasm aside, the league could find a way to ban it. And it would be a shame.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A feel good story, but man, couldn't they just pay actual football players to be the scout team?

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I thought that was different because it was actual playing in the game (even though it was just preseason)... this is just walkthroughs. But you're right, the NFL will figure out something.

Draft saved Draft deleted