1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool story on Dmitri Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nobody gives a shit about his card collection.

He's a big-time athlete with a "checkered reputation" and this is yet another of the endless tsunami of happy-happy joy-joy cotton-candy puff-piece stories which assure us these friendly fellows have turned their lives completely around. Like almost all the others, this one's bullshit too.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you guys believe that anybody can ever change? Honest question. And, believe me, I understand skepticism. But I think the other extreme is unhealthy, as well.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not against the idea that people can change. But in this case we're talking about two years since his latest arrest (latest of many), the likelihood that he's doing this to bail himself out of financial trouble, and an article that is pretty sympathetic to the idea that all of Dimitri Young's problems came from some mysterious force in the universe that wasn't Dimitri Young.

And we've all been there. I'm sure we've all written some version of the "he has turned his life around" or "he isn't as bad as he's perceived to be" story, only to see later that we fell for the ruse.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The failure is on him for not living up to his promises. He's the one who looks like an idiot. The writer is being lied to, as well.

And there are positive cases. Thomas Henderson was the biggest dipshit in his league for years and now is an exemplary citizen.

Draft saved Draft deleted