1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool story about Disco Demolition Night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 1, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is the first couple pages of the book "Appetite for Self-Destruction" by Steve Knopper, about the mistakes the greedy record industry has made over the years. It's about how Chicago DJ Steve Dahl practically destroyed disco in one night by creating Disco Demolition Night along with his buddy Mike Veeck. With a cameo by Michael Clarke Duncan:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=99312293

Good book overall as well. Heck of a reporting job, what with much researching and interviewing of subjects years later. Also an NPR interview with the author through the above link.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I remember that night well.. watching the game in Detroit and George Kell comes on the air and basically says "You aren't going to believe what's going on..."

And that's a really good piece...

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There's a great chapter in here on Disco Demolition Night. Another excellent one on the hubristic XFL.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

That was a great read. Thanks for the link, TSP.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Classic example of a promotional idea which was, simply, too good.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember in "Airplane" when Ted Striker is trying to land the plane? It passes over a building, ostensibly the location of a radio station, where the DJ is intoning that "you're listening to (call letters), where disco lives forever!" And then the passing plane crashes through and destroys the station's transmission tower. Classic.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm all for a Rap Demolition Night if that'll do the trick.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I worked with Steve Knopper years ago. Heck of a good guy and I'm not at all surprised he put out a fine book.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Awesome read.

Here's some news coverage (featuring a YOUNG Greg Gumble):

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

And Bill Kurtis!

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Remember that event well, must have a look for this book. I remember some guys in my high sachool were trying to form a Toronto chapter of the Insane Coho Lips (could be the dumbest name ever) Anti-Disco Army.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

As a fortysomething, I am not ashamed to admit I enjoyed the disco era, dancing was fun. Sadly the backlash came from those who chose not to dance and instead wanted to just thrash about.

More than disco, I believe that the youthful innocence of the '70s music died too.

Draft saved Draft deleted