1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Meteor showers freak me out - I was flying on a redeye one night thinking, oh crap, hope none of that makes it down to 35,000 feet.

Same thing for ISS and the capsule.

Non-zero probability, albeit small. But could catastrophically happen some day.

lakefront likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

No-kill, lab-grown meat going on sale for the first time. It's remarkable how quickly meat replacements have developed -- the first lab-grown burger cost something like $350,000 in 2013. Now stuff like Beyond Meat and OmniPork are widespread, the likes of McDonalds and Burger King are selling meatless sandwiches, and now this. If this can scale up enough to fully replace traditionally farmed and slaughtered meat, it could change entire ecosystems.

No-kill, lab-grown meat to go on sale for first time

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why they price them higher than other burgers, aside from possibly knowing that their supply chain couldn’t handle a huge demand at the moment.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of it is the assumption that people who care enough to eat meat-replacement burgers are better off and will be happy to pay extra.

TigerVols likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I know there are a lot of subsidies for the corn industry, which is part of why there is so much of it in like a quarter of the products you get at the grocery store and gas station. It wouldn't surprise me if there are similar ones at play for the factory meat farms, and if that price is artificially low as a result, in combination with the meatless product still being new, elevating its price.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" becomes a reality.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At 9 a.m. Tuesday morning SpaceX has scheduled a high-altitude flight test of the Starship.

That livestream is here (if it happens):

Here’s the Starship’s 150m flight test from a couple of months ago:

And if you’re not familiar with the Starship project: SpaceX Starship - Wikipedia

[​IMG]

maumann and Vombatus like this.
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

Update: Now slated for 11 a.m.

Here’s a link to the YouTube feed from NASA Spaceflight, which is not related to NASA.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

11. 2muchcoffeeman

The end of the story seems suboptimal.

maumann likes this.
  12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

NASA blew up a lot of rockets before it got one to the moon.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted