1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You can take your post-season baseball, NBA finals whatever - I'll go with the Fat Bears. 151 FTW!

Fat Bear Week 2020

Vombatus likes this.
  2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just saw a commercial for a car that backs up using the keyfob. Not only can you get out of a tight parking space, but the fob will also key the door of the jackwagon who parked too close to you in the first place.

maumann likes this.
  3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just caught up on this thread and was going to post on this. This idea seems like a big DVR.

"“You can send information back,” he told CNN, “but you can only send it back to the point at which you turn the machine on.”

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not science exactly, more engineering maybe? Anyhow, take a pile of plywood and lumber, a CNC machine, some fiberglass and a smallish amount of money and make a 5.8 meter racing sailboat on the cheap. Cheap for that sort of thing anyhow, given that "Boat" is defined as "A hole in the water you line with money." It's still an interesting concept executed well.

Boat in a box: The Globe Mini 5.80 is taking off around the world

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to post this since I first saw it last week:

Telescope gives closer look at asteroid worth $10,000 quadrillion

Not because it's cool (maybe it's mildly cool), but because they keep referring to the asteroid's mineral worth as "$10,000 quadrillion."

Isn't $10,000 quadrillion the same as $10 quintillion? And if they said it that way to make it more understandable to the general public who might not know what a quintillion is, then shouldn't they said something like "$10 billion billion"? Because these days everyone understands what a billion is, and probably a trillion -- but would a person who doesn't know "quintillion" be any more likely to know "quadrillion"? Besides, they don't even need to do that since the story explains that $10,000 quadrillion is "a one followed by 19 zeroes."

These are the things that keep me up at night.

I do feel better since I found stories from several other outlets that use "$10 quintillion."

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

$10 quintillion bucks. /starman

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

That’ll buy 2 quintillion hamberders! /Trump

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Interesting.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Instant follow!