1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Maybe this should be on the "things that make you feel old" thread.

Jobs and Wozniak incorporated Apple in January of 1977 and showed the Apple II at a Japanese computer fair a month before Voyager 1 launched. IBM's iconic 5150 PC was still four years away. The Commodore 64 wouldn't be available until 1982.

I was still programming in Fortran and Basic using keypunch cards and having to rent time on the university's main frame. (COBOL and Assembler can eat dirt.)

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The PBS documentary on Voyager's 40th anniversary is incredible.

The Farthest

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Voyagers (Voyager 2, specifically) was one of the wonders of my childhood. I think I read every book our public library had on it, other space probes, and planetary science in general by the time I was 14. I remember the flyby of Neptune in 1989 being mind-blowing front page news for the better part of a week.
    Too bad I sucked at advanced math and wound up going into journalism instead of astrophysics. The passion and interest were there, but the skills never were.

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Too bad for me, too. Some friends went that route, and they made a shit-ton of money.

5. Slacker

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Any new graphene news lately?

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

9. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. Slacker

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Number 9, Number 9.

New Discovery Stirs Up Signs of the Elusive Planet 9 | Science | Smithsonian

Draft saved Draft deleted