1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool science stuff

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Aug 14, 2012.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Well, he went to General Motors Institute and worked as a Pontiac engineer (under John DeLorean) for two years before realizing there was no way to advance his career there. Plus Mom wanted out of Michigan. So a combination of foresight and luck!

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think that's call cold winters.

BTW, you know why the shuttle was built? Hint: USAF.

maumann likes this.
  3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Buck and HC like this.
  5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

7. Slacker

maumann likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

9. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

That article got things wrong. He is still a twin, genetically the same as his brother. His genes were altered in terms of being activated, not by a change in actual DNA.

NASA Study Finds Astronaut's Genes Changed While In Space

maumann likes this.
  10. Slacker

NASA receives response from Voyager 1 spacecraft 13 billion miles away after 37 years of inactivity | Technology Startups News | Tech News

The thrusters aboard the Voyager 1 spacecraft just did what we thought was impossible. After 37 years of inactivity, NASA just received response from spacecraft 13 billion miles away, NASA said in a statement on its website. Voyager 1 is NASA’s farthest and fastest spacecraft. It was launched on September 5, 1977. Having operated for 40 years, 6 months and 14 days as of March 19, 2018, the spacecraft relies on small devices called thrusters to orient itself so it can communicate with Earth. These thrusters fire in tiny pulses, or “puffs,” lasting mere milliseconds, to subtly rotate the spacecraft so that its antenna points at our planet. Now, the Voyager team is able to use a set of four backup thrusters, dormant since 1980.

In a statement on its website, NASA said: “The Voyager team assembled a group of propulsion experts at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, to study the problem. Chris Jones, Robert Shotwell, Carl Guernsey and Todd Barber analyzed options and predicted how the spacecraft would respond in different scenarios. They agreed on an unusual solution: Try giving the job of orientation to a set of thrusters that had been asleep for 37 years.”

[​IMG]

maumann, Buck, Batman and 1 other person like this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That is amazing.

May have mentioned before, but when I was with the community college we took a group of students on tour of JPL.
    I highly recommend you check it out if you can. I think they have one or two open houses a year.

Had some other opportunities to work with NASA's public affairs people on some things. Top notch.

maumann likes this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's an incredible story. What a feat of engineering. It's amazing to think of how much more sophisticated our cell phones are than the Voyager I, yet it's still providing us with information 13 billion miles away.

Batman, Slacker and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted