1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cool dead hard drive trick

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 8, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A hard drive in a Macbook that I use for work went dead. I make backups with Time Machine, so nothing major was lost, but there were still a few things I wanted to salvage before scrapping the drive, which hadn't made it into my last backup. I tried everything and the drive wouldn't spin, wasn't recognized by OS X's disk utility, and wouldn't boot the computer.

A new 160 gig SATA drive only cost $45, without a ton of shopping around for price because I needed it immediately, so the damage wasn't that bad. And I was able to restore the machine from a Time Machine backup, so I didn't lose that much time getting it set up again.

But I still had a few things--a small handful of documents, photos, e-mails, that hadn't made it onto my last backup, though. Someone suggested I freeze the drive. And very surprisingly t worked. I put it in the freezer for a few hours, quickly put it back in the machine and it bought me about 20 minutes to pull some stuff off the drive before it stopped spinning again.

I thought I'd share the freezer trick, because I know occasionally we have "my drive went bad" threads on here. It's definitely worth a try if you have a drive stop spinning. From what I understand, it won't salvage the drive permanently, but for some reason it will sometimes buy you a short amount of time to pull stuff off it. That is exactly what happened for me.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dwight put a dead cat in the freezer once.

Oh wait, that's the wrong thread.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted