1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cooking question from a novice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Feb 24, 2008.

1. With the Future Mrs. Omar working four 10 hour shifts and going back to school -- which sadly is not nearly as cool as Rodney Dangerfield made it look -- I've been doing more cooking.

And I have a question from the experienced chefs in the house.

Got a recipe for pan roasted chicken and gnocchi that calls for 1 ounce of chicken jus.

Now, is the chicken jus created from the roasting of the chicken? Or do I make that myself? Can you buy it in a store?

I now retreat to the shadows and await assistance.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Just means the juice from roasting the chicken.

You could buy stock at the store, but the stuff from the roasting pan will be better.

Happy cooking...

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Cooking-75th-Anniversary-2006/dp/0743246268/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203906499&sr=8-1

Contains instructions on every cooking technique a home cook could ever want.

4. Already added to the wedding registry...

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I would use chicken broth, but that's just me.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Second that.

If you only own one cookbook, Joy of Cooking is the one.

I have the 1975 edition but apparently the 75 Anniversary edition published in 2006 is pretty good. Avoid the '97 edition which takes the charm out of what made Joy so popular--Rombauer's voice.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Chicken jus isn't the same thing a chicken stock.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

And NEVER throw out the juices you don't need. Freeze it (label it) and it'll be the magic touch in a soup, sauce or stew months from now.

Draft saved Draft deleted