1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cook County Jail on lockdown after 18 percent of shift does not show up for work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 12, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon:

Cook County Sheriff Salaries
    Job Title Cook County Sheriff Salary
    Correctional Officer $58,895
    Deputy Sheriff $57,177

cook county jail average salary - Google Search

3. YankeeFan

This is probably what you're thinking of:

Did hundreds of Cook County Sheriff’s jail guards come down with the Pacquiao-Mayweather flu over the weekend?

That’s what sheriff’s officials suspect after 637 correctional officers called in sick for shifts between 7 a.m. Saturday and 7 a.m. Sunday — more than double the total on other recent weekends.

Cara Smith, executive director of the jail, said she suspects many officers took time off to watch Saturday night’s live broadcast of the “Fight of the Century” in Las Vegas, in which boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. outlasted Manny Pacquiao.

“There was a historic sporting event taking place at the same time,” Smith said. “It certainly raises that question.”

Sick calls soar for Cook County jail guards on big boxing weekend

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

do they have subs for the prison guards, like schools do for teachers?

Actually, it's basically the same job [/teenagerthoughts]

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

6. YankeeFan

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They should fire everybody who called in sick and hire from the pool of great applicants who want their $50K. Problem solved!

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

9. YankeeFan

Well, yeah. But for the folks who hold the job, it's better than their alternatives.

Towns lobby to have jails built in them because they provide good paying jobs for low skill workers.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They are also extremely stressful jobs. I'm not naïve enough to think they don't take advantage of their sick time but I would think that the absentee rate would naturally be higher than in other professions.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do that job for $100,000 a year, and I really need the money right now.

12. YankeeFan

From 2011:

Preckwinkle said 1 in 5 of Dart's 6,800 employees is off work on any given day for personal medical reasons or to care for a family member under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act. At the jail, it's 1 in 4,
    she said.

While those employees are off, the county continues to pay their pension and health insurance costs, and more employees are needed on the payroll to ensure full staffing, Preckwinkle said. Too many sheriff's employees are on long-term disability or getting workers' compensation payments, she added.

Dart's spokesman said the sheriff already has worked for the past year or so to address the issue of family and medical leave.

"It's absolutely a problem," Patterson said, adding that Dart brought it to Preckwinkle's attention. "It's absolutely something we have been trying to fix."

Preckwinkle criticizes Dart on spending

So, in addition to regular old sick days, you've got a quarter of the jail employees out on long term leave.

Draft saved Draft deleted