1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cook County Jail on lockdown after 18 percent of shift does not show up for work

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 12, 2016.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gotta be public information, right?

Would be an interesting story to pursue.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is that not what it is?

I like it, too.

But it's minor-league football.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You called it a 'total afterthought' yesterday. Interesting how a 'total afterthought' can be a big enough event to cause a sick-out.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's an afterthought compared to the NFL playoffs, from a media standpoint. NFL talk dominated the airwaves all weekend and through Monday morning, at least.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Guy I worked for as a TA was a bit of a muckety-muck in the labor relations field (one of his more prominent pieces has been cited here, of all places, by the Supreme Dullard, of all people). Per my guy, the broad standard of dismissible absenteeism (even in unionized settings) is in the 5% range. That is, roughly once a month (or more), and you're probably out of there.

6. YankeeFan

You guys are ruining two threads with football talk!

I'm going to Lena Dunham the whole damn board.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great album:
    [​IMG]

8. doctorquant

You can see that in how casual sports fans are as likely to know who won the Heisman Trophy as they are to know who was the Baseball America minor league player of the year.

9. YankeeFan

I would think people on long term sick leave would drive the average numbers up.

But, if someone's on long term leave, they're off the schedule.

18% of the people on the schedule not showing up sounds crazy to me.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think you're spreading yourself a little thin. Focus on convincing people not to like soccer before you branch out into other sports.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. doctorquant

It sounds crazy because it is crazy ...

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It may surprise you to learn that correctional employess generally are not paid much for this crappy job. So they workforce isn't necessarily all of the highest caliber. I would say they probably have quite a few employees who don't let a who lot of chances to call in sick go by.

Draft saved Draft deleted