1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convince me my warranty company wasn't trying to scam me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by proudpittsburgher, Apr 20, 2011.

1. I ask because someone on here might better understand the world of the scumbags, I mean car warranties . . .

My minivan developed power steering problems while my wife was out at the grocery store. I get there and put some power steering fluid in, and it gets us home OK, but I decide it best to take it in to the shop and have it checked out just to be safe. I am limited in my car knowlege afterall. Anyway, finally get the dealer to look it over, and it needs a lot of stuff with the power steering. between 1500 and 1000 dollars for everything.

Fine, my next questions is what did the warranty company say? I am aware we just re-upped our warranty and have the most full coverage you can get. Dealer says: Nope, nothing. Nothing is covered, per my warranty person.

FU$%^^%$!!!! . . . on the inside. On the outside, after calming my wife down, I talk to the dealer and say do what you have to do as cheaply as possible. I hang up.

Apparently, I didn't so such a good job of calming the wife down, because she's still pretty ticked. And amazingly enough, in her pissed-ness, she thinks more clearly than do I, and she gets the warranty. What do you know, looks like power steering, well everything, is covered under my plan. So I call them.

Talk to a very nice lady, explain the situation and she asks me to please hold. I am expecting her to come back on and explain why something that says "everything pertaining to power steering fluid is covered" doesn't ACTUALLY MEAN that everything pertaining to power steering fluid is covered. Nope, she explains that a mistake was made and that it actually is covered. She'll call the dealer to straighten it out.

If you know me at all, you know that I like to give people the benefit of the doubt normally, But this, to me, feels like they told the dealer no, damn well knowing it was covered, he believes them, because they are holding the paperwork, and if I don't call their bluff, they just saved their company 1000 dollars. Am I wrong in this? Even though I am relieved I am paying virtually nothing, when I was to pay almost 2 grand after fees and taxes, I am still pissed because I feel like they tried to pull one over on me.

Someone tell me if I am missing anything or are off base here.

Thanks

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Smallpotatoes, you get off Proudpittsburgher's log-on this instant!

3. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Heh.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All warranties are scams. QED

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My first instinct is, yes, the warranty company was trying to pull a fast one.

But maybe it was an honest mistake. Doubtful...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would imagine the extended warranty companies reflexively try not to pay any claim.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This is funny.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you ever read The Rainmaker?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

New car warranties are a breeze -- rarely a question or an issue.

I would not pay for an extended warranty. Not worth the hassle you are sure to get, the question of whether the company will still be around in 1-2 years, etc.

10. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

And it's almost certain the car dealer was intentionally trying to pull one over on you, too. One of my best friends worked in the shop at a big car dealership in Dallas and they hammer home to their employees that you tell people they need things they really don't need in order to make the extra bucks. My friend made big money but couldn't handle the lying all the time.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Got mine when I bought from Carmax. I beg to differ.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. A national dealer like that is the only way I'd go.

Draft saved Draft deleted