1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convert inches to words

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsfan AS, Jan 27, 2008.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've written for papers that have had 30, 32, 33 and 37 words per inch, and that's just off the top of my head. It all depends on the paper.

Since you bring this up, sportsfan, I assume you've got a stringing gig lined up somewhere. You're probably best off using 34 words per inch as a benchmark. That's right in the middle of that range - unless, of course, you ask the paper what their standard is.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I've also heard that 200 characters = one inch. That's somewhat easier to remember -- when I get to 2,000, I know I've reached the 10-inch mark.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Unless you're converting to Celsius.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Zebra's right. If you're stringing, ask what the words-to-inch number is. That way you're sure to file what they're looking for.

5. Sportsfan AS

Sportsfan AS New Member

Thanks for all of the responses.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What are the general word to inch counts for tabloids? Broadsheets? Berliners?

At my shop, I've never used inch counts; rather, word counts.

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Somebody page Slappy. He had this worked out in his head a few years back. I worked in the same press box as him a few years back and he could tell the average number of words for anysize story.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

35 is a better estimating point (easier to calculate), but either way that's a good idea. If you're within an inch or two of your target, you're good because the desk can always make that fit. It's when you're more than 2 inches off target that it becomes a matter of chopping/stretching, which on deadline is a major hassle (especially if you write it so we can't cut from the bottom. ;))

By the way, my shop right now is 36 words/inch, as was my last place.

We're narrowing widths in about three weeks, so I'll have to recalculate it then.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's a damn good line. Too bad I'm stuck between 60 and 80 words.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

i = w/35

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

If you type a document in Microsoft Word, divide the number of characters with spaces by 200.

For example, if a story has 3000 characters with spaces, it's roughly 15 inches long. It works out almost exactly as words/35, but it's easier to calculate on the fly.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I got to use that line..

Draft saved Draft deleted